Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

bacon cooking

Austin Egger
Austin Egger Posts: 256
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Last weekend I was cooking a spatchcock chicken direct around 350 - 375 with the grid on top of the fire box and I put 3 pieces of bacon on at the same time. The grease caused some large flare ups which I have been reading about. How does everybody cook their bacon? Do you have to go indirect with a drip pan or can you possibly go direct but raised grid? I assume raised will probably still cause a flare up with the greasy goodness? Thanks for your input.

Comments

• Gator Bait
    Gator Bait Posts: 5,244

Hi austinegger

Just from my own experience I have always gone indirect with a drip pan. It safe guards against flare ups and I like to save the drippings. the last Eye of the Round roast that I did I was experimenting with using bacon drippings in my injection. The jury is still out on whether or not the drippings helped in the roast but it certainly didn't hurt a very lean piece of meat. I also like to use good bacon, it taste good but also gives me the best drippings I can expect. Those drippings don't have to be a waste product and with the cost of good bacon these days thats a good thing. :lol:

Gator

• Method depends on the bacon....cheapola supermarket flabby, watery stuff I do indirect, on a raised grid w/drip pan. On the other hand, leaner/dryer stuff (or very trimmed, center cut) can go direct, but I leave the lid open and flip it very often, as it is entirely possible to burn the underside while the upside is still undercooked. ETA: the frequent flipping creates a super-crisp strip. Photo shows kurabuta bacon; I didn't have a Woo ring to raise the grid when I cooked it. Today, I'd raise the grid, in addition to the flipping.
    pc130979.jpg
  • Wise One
    Wise One Posts: 2,645
    Bacon has a LOT of fat in it. When it drips onto a flame it will burn. If you're doing a lot (actually I'm surprised that only 3 pieces caused a problem) use a drip pan to catch the grease. However, my favorite way to do bacon is to cover a brisket with it and cook over a drip pan. After a 12-hour (give or take 4 hours) slow cook, that bacon is absolutely delicious - and the brisket is not bad either.
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    I cook mine in a skillet on the stove (unless it's wrapped around a good steak of course). Never could see the point of bothering with the egg to cook bacon (or eggs or pancakes for that matter) - more trouble than it's worth.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• I now cook mine on the half circle solid cast iron griddle. It catches the drippings like a pan and I can grill on the other half of the grid.
  • Car Wash Mike
    Car Wash Mike Posts: 11,244
    I cook mine with cherry wood indirect at 350-400.

bacon2.jpg

Mike
  • Frank from Houma
    Frank from Houma Posts: 5,755
    Pig candy - indirect over a drip pan
    IMG_0848800x600.jpg

IMG_0880800x600.jpg