Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

HOT and fast then LOW and slow???

Sawbones
Sawbones Posts: 31
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Any tips on doing steaks hot and fast at around 6pm, then a butt low and slow starting around 11pm in the same night on one BGE?

Comments

• gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Myself, I'd shut down completely, and re-load lump around 10. High temp sears can blow thru a lot of lump, and you might not have enough charcoal to finish the slow cook. A re-load would also give an opportunity to clear out ash.

However, to have the best chance to do it in 1 go is to load almost to the top of the fire ring (which will give a tremendous sear) and then all but shut down. It will probably take an hour and a half to drop to 250, and you can set you vents then, add platesetter, whatever, and have a really steady fire by 11.
  • boston_stoker
    boston_stoker Posts: 794
    I will add that adding charcoal after your sear, will help the egg reduce temp.
  • Sawbones
    Sawbones Posts: 31
    thanks guys

I am definitely planning on reloading with a full load of lump.

I was just wondering if I should wait for the first fire to go completely out before the reload?
  • BigGreenDon
    BigGreenDon Posts: 167
    This won't help you today, but you might think about it for the future...

If you had a spider with a CI grid down there just above the lump, you would not need to get the egg to super-nova temperatures to sear your steak.

I use such an arrangement with a half-grid at felt level. I sear the steak on both sides on the lower CI grid, then bring it up to the upper grid to finish it off.

With this arrangement, you need not bring the egg above 400F, and you do not have as much of the lump "involved" in the fire. Easier to get the egg down to temp in a few hours if you don't have it full of molten lava to begin with.

Don
  • Michael B
    Michael B Posts: 986
    For the steaks, only fill the fire box a couple inches deep and cook the steaks ala Fred Flintstone. Shut it down when finished and you’ll have more than enough time to reset for the butt cook.
  • Fishbonz
    Fishbonz Posts: 7
    Great question. I have the same plans. Steaks for dinner tonight and 15lbs of porkbutt for tomorrow with friends.
    Have a great weekend.