Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

rubs for ribs

Options
frankwa
frankwa Posts: 3
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I am looking to try a rub that I can make myself. Any suggestions??

Comments

• ChargerGuy
    ChargerGuy Posts: 357
    Options
    Not sure what kind of rub you are looking for but when I make my ribs I usually make my own general purpose BBQ rub with Brown Sugar, Garlic Powder, Smoked Paprika, Red Pepper Flakes, fresh Ground Black Pepper and Sea Salt. I usually start with one cup of Brown Sugar and the rest to taste. Because of the Sugar its best to use this with Indirect slow cook methods.
  • Pharmer
    Pharmer Posts: 37
    Options
    I usually make my own using smoked paprika, kosher salt, cumin, oregano, brown sugar, granulated onion, ground black pepper, granulated garlic, cinnamon and allspice. I don't have the proportions in front of me right now but if memory serves, its: 6/3/1/1/2/2/1/1/0.5/0.5
  • Capt Frank
    Capt Frank Posts: 2,578
    Options
    One of the "standard" bases for rubs [and I use that term with caution] is equal parts of Paprika, Brown Sugar, ans Salt. Add your flavorings/spices from there.
    I cut the salt about in half, add some garlic powder, cumin, black pepper, etc.
    As charger guy said, use any rub with high sugar content for low & slow, indirects. :)

Capt Frank
    Homosassa, FL
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    There are a ton of rub recipes on the net. Some time ago, I collected a few dozen, and made up a database, and sorted by amount of ingredient. I don't have the results at hand, but the core was just about identical to a recipe I came across from an oral history of an old Tennessee pit master.

From recollection, the base is 1/2 C sugar (the old fellow just used plain white), 1/2 C salt, 1 Tbl black papper, 1 Tbl garlic powder, 1/2 Tbl cayenne.

Onion powder was the next most common ingredient.

With that as a base, you can add pretty much anything in that sounds good to you. If I want a more southwestern flavor, I'll add some cumin and chili powder. Jamaican-style, swap habanero for cayenne, and add some allspice. Something a little lighter, add some ginger and lemon grass. For poultry, I usually add a bunch of herbs, such as rosemary, marjoram, and thyme.

So, basically, a bunch of salt, and equal amount of sugar, and then whatever you care to toss in. Cocoa powder, finely ground coffee, cardamon, cinamon etc. etc.
  • SkySaw
    SkySaw Posts: 656
    Options
    I find the Memphis rub recipe for ribs on the Amazing Ribs website to be very good. Kinda sweet, and not too salty:

http://www.amazingribs.com/recipes/rubs_pastes_marinades_and_brines/meatheads_magic_dust.html

Mark
  • EGGARY
    EGGARY Posts: 1,222
    Options
    Very interesting article and recipe. Looks easy to make with ingredients easily available. Thanks for the information.

Gary
  • Jai-Bo
    Jai-Bo Posts: 584
    Options
    Bad Byron's Butt Rub, then about and hour and a half before you wanna eat...take em off and lay on foil. Pour honey and brown sugar on it then wrap and put back on the grill!!! I cooked 1 today fer 4 hours at 200 then wrapped fer a little over an hour at 225...They didn't fall off the bone but they were tender and no sauce required.... :woohoo:
    Hunting-Fishing-Cookin' on my EGG! Nothing else compares!