Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

disapointing eggs

Options
frans in australia
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
i have 2 large eggs and have been cooking with one of them for about 2 years.the last one i bought about 4 months ago. i started to cook 3 kilos of bacon and a kilo of cured pork. the cook lasted for about 18
hours @ 150/170f the cook was sucsessfull. i decided to clean the egg
and took out the firebox but it fell apart in two halves.i have used
the new egg about 6 times.the problem is the warranty is not extended
here in australia so iam up every time for $160 aust. so 2 eggs and 2 cracked fire boxes disapointing to say the least.cheers, frans

Comments

• Spin
    Spin Posts: 1,375
    Options
    frans in australia,[p]It is good to hear from you, though sad to hear of your problems. A reliable repair can be made if you can find a high temp cement. Rutland products #FSC8 or Hercules Furnace Cement will work nicely. Thank C~W and Cornfed for the info.[p]Sue and I send our very best to you and yours,
    Spin[p]

• JJ
    JJ Posts: 951
    Options
    frans in australia,
    Here is a grat tip from my friend Char Woody:
    High Temperature Rutland furnace cement. 2700F and its working great! Fire
    chamber is still back in one piece.[p]
    Item number is FSC8[p]

• Cornfed
    Cornfed Posts: 1,324
    Options
    Spin,[p]Here's a link to Hercules Furnace Cement. Don't know if you can order online from here. I did some research then my great friend Finger Lickin' Tom purchased this for me at a local Home Depot. My other great friend Smokin' Todd did most of the hard work in reassembling my busted Egg. I supervised (i.e. - went and grabbed beers when we ran low). Other than that, I was around mostly for atmosphere (it's great to have such wonderful friends!).[p]My reconstructed Egg is still cookin' like a champ! I did wings, a beer butt chicken, a London Broil, and some steaks this weekend! This week, it's leftovers plus a serious diet!!![p]Good luck,
    Cornfed

• Char-Woody
    Char-Woody Posts: 2,642
    Options
    frans in australia, hello, and sorry to hear about your problem there. Like JJ, my firechamber is repaired at little expense. E.mail me for more help with your situation.
    Thank's...Char-Woody.

• frans in australia
    Options
    JJ,
    thank you for your responds also spin, cornfed,charwoody.
    i have glued it back together with a local glue that was available here.i have also been thinking about a truck drum
    brake wich is a similar shape to a firechamber with a few modifications of course i will let you know how it goes.
    frans.