Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

My first rib cook

bigmike55
bigmike55 Posts: 39
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I cooked ribs for the first time on Sunday, and they turned out pretty good. I did 3 racks of St Louis style. My goal was to do 3-1-1 at 250F.

Here they are with mustard and Big Time BBQ Rub:
P1000597.jpg

I used some apple and maple wood chips that I had soaked that morning. I put them in at around 12:40, and the smoking wood chips smelled awesome:
P1000598.jpg

Unfortunately, I got the temp up too high and couldn't get it back down. They spent the most of the first 90 minutes at 300F. I then flipped them and was able to get it back down to 250 for about half of that 90 minutes.

Next, I foiled them and put in a little apple juice. They went back on the egg for an hour.

I then pulled and sauced with Sweet Baby Rays. Here they are back on the egg with the sauce.
P1000604.jpg

They cooked like this for just under an hour.

We ate at about 5:30. Here is the final product:
P1000605.jpg

I got compliments from everybody, but I thought they could have been a little more tender. I'm thinking that I should have went longer at 250F, but after I got the egg started I couldn't get it back down to 250.

I just need more experience.

Mike

Comments