Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Spatchcocking question

Options
BucsFanJim
BucsFanJim Posts: 161
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Just a quick question...
Going to cut up a chicken to spatchcock cook it and the local butcher seems clueless. He cut one for me last week and it was pretty rough looking.
Do you just cut both sides of the back bone? Is that all there is to it?
TIA
Jim

Comments

• KevinH
    KevinH Posts: 165
    Options
    BucsFanJim,[p]It's almost that easy. Cut through the ribs along both sides of the backbone, removing it completely. Also cut off any excess flap of fat at either end. Then flip the bird over breast-side up and smash the middle of the breastbone with your fist. It should crack the bone enought that the bird will lay flat on the counter. If it doesn't, hit it again. See photos below, courtesy of The Naked Whiz.
    [ul][li]How to spatchcock a chicken.[/ul]
  • Yazoo
    Yazoo Posts: 145
    Options
    BucsFanJim,[p]I use a good sharp pair of kitchen shears, cutting the rib bones, as close as possible, on both sides of the back bone.[p]
  • BucsFanJim,
    I used to cut the backbone, and remove it completelly like most folks recomend.
    Then I have this piece of bone to contend with, make soup, throug it out, or freaze it for posterity.
    Now I just cut on one side and leave it, its aesier to contend with, and I don't feel guilty about having make a decision on what to do with the backbone.
    I can't tell the difference cooking wise, with the backbone in or out.
    Pete

• BucsFanJim
    BucsFanJim Posts: 161
    Options
    Thanks to all for the help!!
    The 7 lb. bird has been spatchcocked... and rubbed with a mixture of Tsunami Spin, montreal chicken and drizzled liberally with an olive oil infused mojo criollo
    Albertsons has the Perdue Oven stuffers on "sale" at $.99 per.