Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Eggfest Egg Transport

Options
kdahlke
kdahlke Posts: 30
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I am fortunate enough to be getting a demo egg from a local eggfest and have a question about transporting it. I have a supercab pickup truck and don't think that it is going to be able to fit into the back cab. So the plan is to load it onto the back end of the truck. What do other eggers do for tying down or other ideas of securing the egg into the box of the truck? Would imagine that it will need to be taken out of the nest and sat flat into the pickup bed. Any help and ideas welcome for getting my new prize home.
B)

Comments

• Firetruck
    Firetruck Posts: 2,679
    Options
    I had about a 20 minute drive through town when I bought my Large. It was already assembled so I just took it out of the nest and slid it to the front of the truck box. There are some anchor points in the front corners of my truck so I just strapped it to them. Drove very carefully home with no problems.

Good luck :)
  • 2Fategghead
    2Fategghead Posts: 9,624
    Options
    I use tie down straps and the anchors in my truck by going through the bottom draft and out by the hinge. Tim

000_1658.jpg

000_0780.jpg
  • mrdnks
    mrdnks Posts: 67
    Options
    It would take 10 minutes to take apart then lay on a blanket. It would make it safer to get out of the truck when you get home with it. Depending on where you go with it or if you place it in a table.
  • Wise One
    Wise One Posts: 2,645
    Options
    I have loaded literally a hundred of these with no problem. It is advisable to have something soft (foam, a blanket, a cooler, whatever - note the object behind the EGG in the photos 2Fategghead posted) between the EGG and the metal part of the truck. Then strap it down securely and you're good to go. Avoid driving over railroad tracks or pot holes at 65mph and you should have no problems. Taking the insides out makes it easier to load and unload but frankly it also makes more items you need to somehow secure. If you're afraid of a bumpy ride, you can always place some foam under the firebox and then between the firebox and firering. I just remove the daisy wheel and stick it somewhere else to avoid any possibility of it bouncing off.
  • Ripnem
    Ripnem Posts: 5,511
    Options
    Pick yourself up a bunch of lump while your at the store and pack the egg it into the corner of the truck bed with all the bags.
  • UofMontanaAlum
    Options
    If I haul my large around in the passenger seat of a Honda Civic coupe,you can fit it in the cab of your truck. The seatbelt works great for strapping it in.