Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Medium Egg Question

Options
Primeggister1
Primeggister1 Posts: 379
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Just got a medium egg, and wondering how long can it hold low and slow temps before it runs out of lump? Also how high is the lump put? I have followed some BBQ competitors tips and have loaded right to the underside of the plate setter. Please also mention how much lump you are putting in.

Thanks

Marc

Comments

• cookn biker
    cookn biker Posts: 13,407
    Options
    It's been a long time since I've done a l/s on my medium. I believe 20 hours. I do as you and fill it to just under the platesetter.
    Have you cooked on it at all? Congrats on the new egg!
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
    LBGE, MBGE, SBGE , MiniBGE and a Mini Mini BGE
  • Chainsmoker
    Chainsmoker Posts: 114
    Options
    I have done low and slow for around 18hrs. with lump left over. I too, fill all the way to the plate setter. In a medium.
    Ryan
  • civil eggineer
    civil eggineer Posts: 1,547
    Options
    Typically you can cook at 250 dome for 16 to 20 hours on a single load of lump. I fill the fire box and fire ring completely full and set the platesetter directly on top of the lump. I burn Royal Oak and have on occasion run out of lump before the butts were finished. I take them out and plop them in the oven covered with foil until finished. You can comfortable fit (2) 8lb butts on a single grill or a 13 lb packer cut brisket or a 16 lb turkey. Your imagination is the only limiting factor. You are going to love your medium...it is a work horse!
  • Gator Bait
    Gator Bait Posts: 5,244
    Options

I agree, I can fill my medium to the plate setter. At 230º my medium will burn for at least 24 hours with no problems on one load of Royal Oak. Long enough to cook anything I want.

Good luck with the medium, I love mine.

Gator

• Rolling Egg
    Rolling Egg Posts: 1,995
    Options
    Hadn't done any low and slows on mine yet but I've used it a ton. I got mine to supplement my large and love it. Glad to have another medium owner on board. Sometimes theses large/small combo guys are hard to handle ;) We need all the help we can get :laugh:
  • cookn biker
    cookn biker Posts: 13,407
    Options
    That's funny!!
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
    LBGE, MBGE, SBGE , MiniBGE and a Mini Mini BGE
  • Vincent Chase
    Vincent Chase Posts: 149
    Options
    I've had such great success with Wicked Good Lump for long cooks - I just did a 17 hour pork butt over the weekend and I had well over half my lump still in tact. Based on the feedback you've already gotten, even something like Royal Oak ought to be just fine for a low-and-slow, but I'd spring for the WG if you can get it because you'll never have to worry about running low on lump during a long cook - that stuff is the best!
  • Primeggister1
    Options
    thanks everyone for the great feedback! ;)
  • Ala-Egg
    Ala-Egg Posts: 162
    Options
    I have gone 15-18 hours on one batch of lump in my medium. I do fill the firebox up to about the top and still have some left. Really enjoy cooking on my medium.
  • Smokin' T
    Smokin' T Posts: 259
    Options
    I have filled to the top of the fire ring and gone for 18hrs plus, using Royal Oak and had lump left. Love my medium .Not to worry. :whistle::whistle:

Tom,
    Dunedin, Fl.
  • Primeggister1
    Options
    Thanks guys! :cheer:
  • Frobozz
    Frobozz Posts: 98
    Options
    If you completely clean your firebox before you start and use all fresh lump (you can save the old lump for grilling), you can easily make 16-20 hours in a medium.