Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Gridlifter question

Options
Lawn Ranger
Lawn Ranger Posts: 5,467
edited November -1 in Off Topic
After 8 years, I'm curious as to how many folks still have, and use the Gridlifter I started making back in 2002. If you are, then I'll bet it's starting to look pretty ragged. I'm still using my ancient one, and every once and a while have oldtimers still say that they couldn't do without it. I honestly believe that it is the most useful tool I ever made. It's kind of strange, but it's rare that I ever get a request for one anymore, although Squeeze ordered one a few minutes ago. That got me curious. I guess the older generation is taking their lifters into retirement.

Trying to rain in San Antonio.

Mike

Comments

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,740
    Options
    still use mine, someday ill give it another coat of tung oil, is that what was on the early ones
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Lawn Ranger
    Options
    Yes, Sir. Then I changed, then changed back. Now it's equal parts boiled linseed oil, mineral spirits, and Spar urethane. Nice natural feel to it. Here's some I shipped this morning. Still fun, so I still do it. Looks like you had a great trip.
    006-7.jpg

002-8.jpg
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,740
    Options
    nice looking work. ill have to get some tung oil. the handle you put on my wading staff is holding up great with the epoxy, love that thing, i really think i can walk on water with it B)

100_0916.jpg
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Capt Frank
    Capt Frank Posts: 2,578
    Options
    I have been on here just under a year and I had not heard of your tools until just now. I'll bet if you post some pics you will get some orders :)

Capt Frank
    Homosassa, FL
  • Lawn Ranger
    Options
    Cool, Man! I've been wondering about that thing.
  • Lawn Ranger
    Options
    Oh yeah, you're right. But that's kind of frowned upon. Trust me, I'm not looking to solicit business. I took about 6 months off after my Dad died last summer to get some of his affairs in order. Before that I had been up to 2 years behind in orders. I don't want any more of that. I've only been back up and running for 2-3 months. Had to sign a blood pact with my wife saying I'd spend more time out of the shop. It's better now. ;)
  • Gator Bait
    Gator Bait Posts: 5,244
    Options

Hey Lawn Ranger, I didn't know you were back in business. Are you related to THIS web site by any chance? If so maybe you could put a picture of your gridlifter on it so us noobs can see one. :cheer:

It has rained here in Ft. Myers. A real summer type down pour. Like it wasn't humid enough!!!

Thanks,

Gator

• Lawn Ranger
    Options
    Gator:

Yep, that's me. I'll email you.

Mike
  • mad max beyond eggdome
    Options
    i use mine every single time i cook!!! ....stir ashes with it, lift the grates out with it, turn the grates with it . . ..and yeah, the handle is getting pretty cruddy! (mine is one of your early ones too, before you started really coating them heavy with the eurothane or whatever). . .still need to send it back for a re-do along with my handles! . ..
  • Gator Bait
    Gator Bait Posts: 5,244
    Options

Thank you.

Gator

• Lawn Ranger
    Options
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,888
    Options
    have it, use it and LOVE IT! I still believe I have the nicest one you ever made Mike! The handle just oozes personality and charm with it's unique color and shape!
    IMG_1377.jpg
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Lawn Ranger
    Options
    Thanks, My Friend. Glad it's been useful.
  • stevemango16
    Options
    I would love to get a new handle. How do I order one?
  • Spring Chicken
    Spring Chicken Posts: 10,255
    Options
    Here's mine.

LawnRangerGridLifter.jpg

It still works and looks great but I do have to scrub the handle with a pot scrubber and soap every now and then. And I usually clean the working end while I'm at it and paint it black about two inches up from the tip.

Oh yea, here's a few other Lawn Ranger tools I somehow managed to accumulate over the years. And they are hanging on a genuine Lawn Ranger Tool Hanger.

LawnRangerTools5-19-07.jpg

I think there's a few more since this picture was taken.

I couldn't Eggfunction without them and nothing would taste as good.

Thanks Mike.

Spring "Lawn Ranger Tool Collector" Chicken
    Spring Texas USA
  • Lawn Ranger
    Options
    Steve:Probably shouldn't do this, but this is the OT Forum. I haven't updated my site yet, but shoot me an email at gridlifter@yahoo.com and I'll get back with you. Let me know if I can be of assistance.

Mike
  • Lawn Ranger
    Options
    You're too good to me, My Friend. I have just been thinking of how to get folks eggucated about the lifter.

Great weather, huh?
  • Ripnem
    Ripnem Posts: 5,511
    Options
    Mike,

Could you post a pic of the business end of that thing. My deep dish pizza pan holder isn't doing it anymore for me. I might be needin one.
  • Capt Frank
    Capt Frank Posts: 2,578
    Options
    Yea, me too :)

Capt Frank
    Homosassa, FL
  • Lawn Ranger
    Options
    Wow! I had to go way back. Here are some pics of the first one ever made. this is the pic I first posted on the Forum in 2002. they rest are of some of the earliest orders. There have been vast improvements since then.

Mike

HandyDandy.jpg

600.jpg

P6100017.jpg
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    The one tool I use each time with any of the 3 eggs.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• tach18k
    tach18k Posts: 1,607
    Options
    I'm still using mine, they are not real pretty anymore, they do see a lot of weather as they are outdoors all the time, they could use some cleaning up. I use a cast iron grate and it wont lift that. I do use it for stiring the ash and at times use it to scrape the grate down.
  • EGGRPh
    EGGRPh Posts: 180
    Options
    Hey Lawn Ranger,

Could you please e-mail me as well. I'm interested in your gridlifters. Thanks.

Stef Berchert (EGGRPh)