Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

"Must Have" Accessory?

Options
Marine
Marine Posts: 84
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I am a newbie. My wife just bought one for me. What would be the first accessory that you would say you Have to get?

Comments

• WhackMaster719
    Options
    Platesetter. I would also say ash tool, but you can make one of those or use a vacuum. Platesetter will allow you to do your "low n slows"! Have fun!
  • boston_stoker
    boston_stoker Posts: 794
    Options
    I'd wait, and read the forum for about a month. You will learn about a ton of options. For example instead of a plate setter, you could buy a spider with a small pizza stone and drip pan from the ceramic grill store.

I would read the forum some (go back a few weeks at least), and you will learn a ton.
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    I've found a grill extender to be the most useful accessory. Partially, it has to do with the way I cook. I'm likely to do direct cooks a bit more often than indirect. So with an elevated grill, I have the convenience of working at the felt line, and the food is a little farther from the lump, and so its a little less likely to be burnt if the temperature goes too high. If I want to do indirect, I can just place a few fire brick splits on the lower grill, of just put in a drip pan.

As mentioned, check out the options available from the ceramic grill store, as well as what BGE has to offer.

I relied on cheap mechanical pocket thermometers for several years, but became frustrated by how quickly they became inaccurate. I finally bought a Thermo-pen, which costs about as much as 5 mechanical pocket therms. Worth every penny. Being able to quickly and accurately learn what temperature my foods have has improved all my cooking noticeably. So put that on a wish list.
  • FearlessGrill
    FearlessGrill Posts: 695
    Options
    Welcome, and congrats on your new Egg.

I'd say, in order:

1) Plate setter. If you want to do any more than direct cooks of steaks, chicken, etc,, you need a way to cook indirect. While it is true that there are other methods to do this, they are more expensive, and you can always get them later. If you plan to cook a lot of food at once, particularly ribs, the adjustable rig and spider from the Ceramic Grill Store could be a better choice.

2) Thermapen. Nothing will improve your cooking more than a good meat thermometer. As already mentioned, this one is a bit pricey, but works very well and is durable, making it a good long-term investment over cheaper alternatives.

3) Books. Expand your repertoire with some good BBQ books. Avoid the ones focused on grilling, where everything is designed to be cooked on a gas grill. My suggestion for a 1st book on smoking is Smoke and Spice by Bill and Cheryl Jamison. I also really like Serious BBQ by Adam Perry Lang, but that one is more advanced.

4) Pizza Stone. This will let you make pizza and bread in your Egg. Note that you need to have a plate setter or other indirect option to effectively use this.

My $.02

John
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    What YOU need depends on a few things like what was included with the Egg purchase, do you like gadgets, is money no object or are you trying to keep your costs within reason, what kind of cooks do you like/want to do, do you have room to store plenty of stuff, etc.

To me the following are important: Ash tool, raised grid (I made my own), thermapen, gloves (at least leather work gloves if not Welders gloves), Platesetter.

From there you can cook a ton of stuff!

If you're on a budget, you can start without the platesetter and the Thermapen. I used to use a raised grid with a drip pan below to give me an indirect cook. The thermapen makes your life a LOT easier. I cooked without it for a long time but now can't imagine cooking without it. Expensive but I use it on every cook and it is such a great tool to be able to rely on.
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Options

Congratulations and welcome to the forum.

There are a lot of fun toys you will end up getting, some useful and some not. However, for a 'must have' there are a few things that I always use and would buy again.

The first 2 I really can't decide which is tops.
    Ceramic Grill Store Adjustable Rig & Spider - I use them on every single cook.

Buy or make a wiggle rod.

ThirdHand from member Thirdeye (great grid lift & hanger)
    Thermapen (expensive) but great instant read thermometer. The best thing I learned was to cook the food to temperature and not cook to time.

Now the other accessories...
    Maverick ET-73 (some folks love it and some hate it).
    One or the other - Stoker or DigiQII - I have and use them both. I like the Stoker a bit better than the DigiQII only that it is more versatile.

I like the V-Rack but don't use it all that often.

Use your egg and you will learn what you need. What you want is another subject.

GG
  • berrygood
    berrygood Posts: 372
    Options
    boston_stoker wrote:
    I'd wait, and read the forum for about a month. You will learn about a ton of options. For example instead of a plate setter, you could buy a spider with a small pizza stone and drip pan from the ceramic grill store.

I would read the forum some (go back a few weeks at least), and you will learn a ton.

Flashback Bob wrote:
    What YOU need depends on a few things like what was included with the Egg purchase, do you like
    gadgets, is money no object or are you trying to keep your costs within reason, what kind of cooks
    do you like/want to do, do you have room to store plenty of stuff, etc.

Both good pieces of advice. Be patient - better decisions will come after a few weeks of this obsession.
  • rsmdale
    rsmdale Posts: 2,472
    Options
    2 inch thick Ribeyes and an invitation to Rsmdale to help you sample!! Glad to hear you are joining the crazed masses and you will enjoy every minute.Have fun ,take pics and ask questions.

GOOD EATS AND GOOD FRIENDS

DALE
  • Morro Bay Rich
    Morro Bay Rich Posts: 2,227
    Options
    Since your topic is in the singular (Accessory):

Some type of meat thermometer. There is nothing that will turn you off of Egging than under or over cooked chicken. :sick:
  • Marine
    Options
    yeah, I was thinking about getting a plate setter for indirect. This post is going to give me a clear picture of what I am going to want to get first. My wife is having a retirement party this weekend for me which is why she bought the Egg. I would like to cook some brisket so that is why I was going to get the plate setter.
  • Mainegg
    Mainegg Posts: 7,787
    Options
    Pizza stone and adj rig. I can set up or cook about anything with that :) couple of cast iron pans and a dutch oven :) weed burner for lighting and a pallet of lump :)
  • Marine
    Options
    was wondering if I could even use something like a pizza stone for indirect cooking until I get a plate setter.
  • thebtls
    thebtls Posts: 2,300
    Options
    #1 Item = Platesetter. The other extenders et al can come later and MANY do without forever. However one of the first things you will discover is that indirect cooking is a must to expand beyond steaks and burgers.

My Number 2 is a Pizza stone, ONLY if you think you will do pizza on a fairly regular basis. However, after the plate-setter most becomes based on frequency, complexity and types of cooks you will settle into,

Other valuable things to remember, in no particular order:

Electronic thermometer, not necessary to spend $100 however unless you have excess disposable income. Start with a $15 model and build up.

Spices, Knives, and somewhere along the line you will want to make or invest in some kind of table.

Cookware, this came early and comes often but you need time to determine how you cook, what you cook and how much you will deviate from the standard grilling cooks e.g. steaks and hamburgers versus paella and stir fried wok cooking etc. Cast Iron, Flame-ware, baking dishes, etc. etc.
    Visit my blog, dedicated to my Big Green Egg Recipies at http://www.bigtsbge.blogspot.com You can also follow my posts on FaceBook under the name Keep On Eggin' or the link http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Keep-On-Eggin/198049930216241
  • Jai-Bo
    Jai-Bo Posts: 584
    Options
    Plate setter would be my # 1 choice, other then the grill brush and ash tool. Don't waste $20 on a BGE ash pan, buy a metal 1 from a discount store.

I had to edit due to next post, I forgot an eletric starter.....It makes the grill flamming in 5 miutes...

I consider myself new to the game to, and my next purchase or build will be a cooking grate extension. My suggestion is like previously mentioned, just read alot of posts and learn....good luck! :woohoo:
    Hunting-Fishing-Cookin' on my EGG! Nothing else compares!
  • IMF
    IMF Posts: 27
    Options
    definitely not a must have, but a mapp gas torch is a quick and easy way to light the egg. hold the flame to the charcoal for about 20 seconds in 2 or 3 spots and you're good to go.
  • javabreath
    javabreath Posts: 9
    Options
    I would get the spider and a pizza stone combo from the Ceramic Grill Store. That combo cost the same as a place setter and is more flexible if you choose later to go with the adjustable rig for muiltiple level cooks. If you are not going to bake pizza or bread the plate setter is a waste of money. As others said a Thermapen and a Mapp Torch.
  • Cory430
    Cory430 Posts: 1,073
    Options
    As Julie said, an AR, Spider, and pizza stone will allow you to do pretty much anything you can imagine on your new egg.
  • James MB
    James MB Posts: 359
    Options
    A gridlifter is really handy, if you haven't got one get a third hand (as mentioned by someone else)

Something for indirect / raised is the most significant change - I like my woo ring best but the platesetter is brilliant too.

I find there are quite a few little things that make things much easier - wiggle rod, ash tool grill brush (Grill Wizard is the only one I'd recommend, it works and works and works) decent size tongs (I like the good grips / OXO ones).

A food therm of some sort is very good to ensure you don't overcook everything by being too cautious. Get a basic until you get used to using it, then you'll want a thermapen (a great British product, gotta fly the (my) flag).

A hat. OK it depends where you are but I find it's often hot and sunny or windy and wet when I'm checking the egg and it's nice not to feel too exposed and take a little time enjoying the smells.

I keep meaning to get a timer because I often check my watch at a critical time point but don't really register the time or else forget.

A camera - so you can show your handiwork off on here!

Somewhere to store the lump - once hooked it's sensible to have a buffer supply for the cooler months.

Friends to share the spoils, an understanding butcher, new belt etc..

Happy cooking & eating. This beast is addictive.
  • Marine
    Options
    bought the plate setter and then last night I ordered the V-rack/rib rack, the instant read digital thermometer, and a remote thermometer that has a sensor for the meat and one for the temp inside smoker. My next thing will definately be the 3 tier grill extender. I got some money from my retirement party so I am buying my extras with it now... thanks everyone for the feedback.
  • Marine
    Options
    yes I think I am gonna need that pallet of lump! with this forum I am gonna go crazy with this....lol

Hey we are in Maine also. We just moved back here after being gone since 95 because I had to retire from the Marine Corps.
  • Marine
    Options
    Well Dale there is always an open door and a cold beer here in Maine at this Marines House... My wife and I had the house that always had the cookout when we were stationed in NC and now we have begun here in Maine again...
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    Marine,

You can fudge just about anything with a few split firbicks and a second grid. If you aren't worrie about the cost then AR and pizza stone. I would put a thermapen ahead of anything else.

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Marine
    Options
    Yup just got the Thermapen in the mail today and have a platesetter the day after I got the egg. I also just got a V-rib rack and waiting on remote dual probe thermometer in the mail coming soon. I am thinking a three tier grate and maybe a cast iron grate and that will be about it for a bit I think.
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    Marine,

The three tier grate was developed by The Grill Guys, the Canadian rep for BGE. I've seen it but I would have a good look at the ceramic grill store rig. BTW, good to see you charging ahead with this thing ;)

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Marine
    Options
    yeah I saw that rig. not too many pics of it so it was hard to see all about it. I didn't really look too long at it so I am going to look again. I do agree though it looked nice. Also, I see the spider and the Wok looked decent too. Man, I am like a kid in a candy store. That stuff is a bit pricy though. I need to figure out if I want all of those things or a Stoker/Guru or something....

Oh yeah I am charging ahead on it... I have wanted a BGE for a really long time and now I have one I am going buck wild LOL