Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Thank you (my butt...the epilogue)

Options
Mark Backer
Mark Backer Posts: 1,018
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
To everyone who answered my stupid questions, consoled me when I was scared, encouraged me when I was unsure, I say thank you.[p]My brother in law and family came in, I unwrapped the prized subject and he asked "what'd you cook it to again?"[p]I said 200 and he just shook his head. I went to slide it off the aluminum on to a cutting board, and in the process, both of my thumbs went into the meat up to my hand. I noticed that his mouth opened slightly at that point.[p]We served and sat (the spread was complete with mini baked potatoes, cole slaw, fried okra and blueberry pie) and he took one bite and said "I'm sorry hoss. That's the best pulled pork I've ever eaten."[p]That was high praise that meant more than he'll know, as I respect his opinion. [p]I also sent a plate to our neighbor that owns a pizza joint, and he called with similar sentiments, something about best ever.[p]It's a great day to own an egg. My only complaint is that I didn't cook two, because we are already out of meat.[p]Thanks again everyone. Next stop: Briskett one day soon and two butts next weekend for the race.[p]:)

Comments

• Mike in MN
    Mike in MN Posts: 546
    Options
    Mark Backer,
    There's always tonight and tomorrow to do a couple more.....Time for Brother-in-law lessons.... "See, first we rub with plain old yellow mustard,......" LOL![p]Are you doing notecards to help manage your cooks for the next time? I find it helps to go back and review my notes on some of my previous successes and failures. Cooking times, temps, rubs, indirect, direct, marinades, drip pans, seasonings, outside temps, weather conditions, smoking woods, and I note the grill temp and internal temps (every few hours) so I have an idea what is happening for the next time. When I try something and it REALLY works, I highlight the card so I have a record of the winners. [p]A whole turkey for instance. We don't do those all that often, so it's nice to know what you did last Thanksgiving, and what you would do different next November. [p]The pulled pork....notes for the next time would be helpful...until you've done enough of them that you are experimenting and you can recognize the difference in your finished product. To mop, or not to mop....I mop. But, I still do the cards, just to monitor what's going on.

Glad it was a success.[p]Great story, have a great night! I've enjoyed sharing your experience...even though we are a long ways away from each other!![p]Don't forget, at 11:00PM Eastern, raise a glass of your favorite for Woodoggies (never met the man) as he's getting married tonight![p]Mike in MN

• Bamabob
    Bamabob Posts: 246
    Options
    Mike in MN,
    Good advice Mike on keeping notes.Someone wise once said "A goose wakes up in a new world everyday!:)Me thinks I gotta little goose blood in me,with out my cooking notes I'm doomed.I started keeping one of the small spiral notebooks about 4 yrs ago on my 1st BGE cook.Every cook I've done since then is written up:Date,which EGG, who for,what was cooked, how prepaired (brine,rubs,etc) cook setup,temp and food temp,then at end I put comment on taste and improvements needed if any. I'm almost finished with 1" thick pad #6.It has really been helpful and I also highly recommend keeping some sort of record.Didn't mean to ramble on so here in the dark hours,maybe reading this will help someone sleep:>) Bob

• Mike in MN
    Mike in MN Posts: 546
    Options
    Bamabob,
    I use note cards, and they aren't in any order, or anything special...but they are all there....with all the info I would ever need to duplicate a cook. I just page through the pile until I find what I need.[p]At my house I also include a notation on the weather....because it might be -15° with a 15 MPH wind....Shame on me for even suggesting that...or, like tonight...absolutely perfect.[p]Hey, I toasted the Woo a couple of hours ago....It was a special margarita. Life is good![p]Mike in MN