Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First indirect cooking

lakebndegg
lakebndegg Posts: 28
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Just a word for other new egg owners
When cooking beer can chicken make sure you put chicken on the back of grill not were the chicken touches temperature probe. I had my grill to a nice temp of 325 when I put on a pork loin and 2 beer can chickens.
My temp dropped to 175 and stayed there so of course I opened the bottom(brake)up and after a few minutes got to 225 but no higher. I could here the fire bellowing and then it clicked maybe the chicken was too close to the probe. I opened up the lid and I was correct. I moved the crispy chicken to the middle and closed lid up to 600 degrees. I learned a good lesson on that 1.
After about 20 minutes I had her back down to 325 and resumed my cooking. The pork loin was great the chicken a little crispy (190 degrees). Molly and Smokey the labs have been enjoying little pieces of chicken with every meal

Comments

• Memphistide
    Memphistide Posts: 207
    FYI, you can pull that probe out a little....it effects the reading, but not by much. It is well worth it if you need the dome space
  • berrygood
    berrygood Posts: 372
    lakebndegg wrote:
    Just a word for other new egg owners
    When cooking beer can chicken make sure you put chicken on the back of grill not were the chicken touches temperature probe. I had my grill to a nice temp of 325 when I put on a pork loin and 2 beer can chickens.
    My temp dropped to 175 and stayed there so of course I opened the bottom(brake)up and after a few minutes got to 225 but no higher. I could here the fire bellowing and then it clicked maybe the chicken was too close to the probe. I opened up the lid and I was correct. I moved the crispy chicken to the middle and closed lid up to 600 degrees. I learned a good lesson on that 1.
    After about 20 minutes I had her back down to 325 and resumed my cooking. The pork loin was great the chicken a little crispy (190 degrees). Molly and Smokey the labs have been enjoying little pieces of chicken with every meal
    It's funny only because I've done it, too.
  • lakebndegg
    Thank you I might need that on 1 of my lake cooks
    (the whole neighborhood)
  • lakebndegg
    I was laughing about as well live and learn
  • BBQMaven
    BBQMaven Posts: 1,041
    Here a simple tip...
    Unclip the probe... pull it out.. slide the clip back on the probe and insert in the hole... the clip now will touch the outside of the Egg and the probe won't be so deep...the thermometer it will stay and you want have that issue again..
    Oh, another benefit, you can slip it out and check the temp with your thermopen
    Kent Madison MS
  • lakebndegg
    Thanks for the advise
    I'll try that