Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Freeze? Or always buy fresh?

Sous Jeff
Sous Jeff Posts: 9
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Anyone have any thoughts/concerns about buying in bulk and freezing the meat for the future? I greatly prefer to buy fresh but I have ended up on several wild goose chases in the past only to find that store after store is out of what I need. Would there be a loss of quality issue if the meat has previously frozen?

Comments

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    a lot of us here buy our meats on sale and then repackage them using Food Saver vacuum bags. Entry level machines are about $60 and are OK but bigger ones at twice the price are better. BTW just like the BGE itself I will never be without a Food Saver in the future.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,668
    when im stocking up for a big fishing trip i give the butcher a list of what i want to pick up later in the week and how i want it cut and prepared. things like a big chuck roast for making pot-roast, hamburger for making meatloaf, and things like chicken thighs that will get a marinade i ask for frozen, even a turkey if its not for the holidays(i don't get the frozen solution added birds but the kosher salted ones are perfectly fine). i don't see a need for having fresh for things getting braised, marinated, or mixed like a loaf. a good steak or roast, or brisket, or butt i pick up on the way home, there's alot of butchers around me. i had a whole weeks worth of food in coolers last week and cooked the frozen stuff as it thawed later in the week
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,668
    should also mention there isnt anything in my freezer for weekly use except some ice, rub, and some booze :laugh:
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Weekend Warrior
    Weekend Warrior Posts: 1,702
    Your post struck me as kind of humorous. My wife and I both work, so we shop once a week, rarely more. It's a rare and usually some kind of special occasion when we eat meat fresh that's never been frozen. Purchasing in bulk and sub-dividing and vacuum packing is a necessity both logistically and financially. You're fortunate to even have the option and the choice, but to specifically answer your question, I can't distinguish between fresh meat and meat that's been properly frozen and then properly thawed for use.
  • What he said, plus: if you are buying pre-packaged tray meat, much of it was previously frozen. Take care with your wrapping/packaging to prevent freezer burn, label & date it, and defrost it with care (don't leave it on the counter at room temp, for pete's sake), and you won't know the difference. I like to keep a list of what's in the freezer, posted on the outside. When I use something, I cross it off; when I add something new, I write it down. Keeps you from rooting around, trying to figure out what's in the back, behind the frozen peas.
  • Sous Jeff
    Sous Jeff Posts: 9
    Well this is a relief. I've always operated under the assumption that freezing good meat is a big no-no. I'm glad to hear that nobody notices a loss in quality. I'll be more tempted to stock up now when I find a good sale.

Thanks everyone for the help!
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    I believe most meat is frozen at least once, while the flesh goes through rigor mortis. Then thawed and cut.

Cook's Illustrated did a test where meat was repeatedly thawed, and re-frozen. The main drawback was that the cooked meat was drier, because the repeated freezing broke down the muscles, and moisture was lost during cooking.

So, if you are buying for storage, its best to get it frozen to begin with, and only thaw it when time for use. The processor probably has a freezer that works much more quickly, and keeps the meat in better condition.
  • freezing meat is fine. RE-freezing meat is the no-no
  • not sure they actually freeze the carcass while it goes through rigor. it may be chilled, but if it's chilled too much or frozen (before or during rigor) it can adversely affect the meat.

i don't think fresh beef is ever frozen before it hits market. some might get frozen THEN for resale, but not during processing and shipment
  • Cruezn
    Cruezn Posts: 317
    I worked in both beef and pork slaughter houses for over 10 years. Neither is frozen prior to being fabbed (cut and boxed). Chilled around 34 degrees, but not frozen. I now run a refrigerated warehouse for a major meat packer, and the only time non processed (whole muscle beef/pork) meat is frozen, is right before it goes out of date. It is then fire saled to various retailers, but that is the exception, not the norm. Pork tends to be frozen much more so than beef due to a shorter shelf life. I would think buying in bulk and freezing would be ok, as long as it is properly frozen. As someone else mentioned, I would not refreeze, under any circumstance.
  • gdenby
    I can't say for sure from recollection, the article was fairly long and technical, and I may have inferred that the carcasses were frozen. My recollection was that they were held at a low enough temperature that the meat didn't suffer degradation while the rigor mortis reaction faded away. There was a lot about timing, and references to the advantage of flash chillers.
  • gdenby
    Thanks for clarifying on the temperature.
  • I have two freezers. One over flowing and the other in VERY close pursuit!
    That pretty much tells all on me!