Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

cooking range of Mini, with full firebox?

Options
Hungry Celeste
Hungry Celeste Posts: 534
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Last night, I cooked 1.5 lbs fresh sausage (about 400-425 for 20-25 minutes) on my Mini, followed by grilled asparagus. Then I cooked a boneless pork loin roast for 1 hr 15 min @ 350. The mini performed admirably, with precise temp control (though any adjustments needed are almost microscopic). All of this has me wondering: what's the longest cook you've ever done on a Mini, without a fuel reload? I'm thinking I can overfill the firebox a bit if I go with a raised grid and extend the cooking time quite a bit more.

Comments

• Frank from Houma
    Frank from Houma Posts: 5,755
    Options
    I went 6 hours once at around 250 (but was higher at the start). I think you could go 8 hours if filled to the top of the fire ring at around 250.
  • Florida Grillin Girl
    Options
    4 - 4 1/2 hours at 400.

Faith
    Happily egging on my original large BGE since 1996... now the owner of 5 eggs. Call me crazy, everyone else does!

3 Large, 1 Small, 1 well-used Mini
  • Jersey Doug
    Jersey Doug Posts: 460
    Options
    At Waldorf this year we cooked a variety of sausages for about five hours at 300º and still had a little bit of lump left when I shut it down.
  • Hungry Celeste
    Options
    Thanks, guys. I appreciate the info...looks like I've been too conservative w/expectations on how long the Mini can run. I love pulled pork, but I don't want to do huge hunks (for a bunch of diff reasons). I'm gonna try a smaller chunk of shoulder, low-n-slow, on the Mini. Will let y'all know how it turns out.

Also posted b/c I'd read a few recent posts besmirching the Mini as a glorified hibachi, and I wanted to refute those claims. I'm still feeling my way through it, but it appears to cook every bit as well as the bigger versions. Now, if I could just get my hands on a Mini-sized plate setter! (Any potters out there? I'd be happy to custom-order.)
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    I use these in my mini.
    Others on the forum pointed me this way many months ago.
    The Mini is what it is. Very small. I would not go through all the trouble to cook a tiny piece of pork for pulled pork. With enough time and baby sitting you could do it for bragging rights I guess.
    Have fun,
    Darian

http://www.amazon.com/Old-Stone-Oven-4444-Stones/dp/B0000E1FDC/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=home-garden&qid=1274721937&sr=8-1
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Hungry Celeste
    Options
    I do have the pizza stones for the mini. Regarding a "tiny" piece of pork, size is relative. I have found that the mini holds temps just as precisely as my large, provided that I make very small adjustments with the daisy wheel & keep the bottom vent open just a tiny bit. Shouldn't require any more babysitting than a bigger piece on my large. It's not about bragging rights, but more about cooking smaller amounts so I don't end up with pounds of uneaten pulled pork.
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    I use one of the pizza stones as my plate setter for indirect cooks as many others have pointed out in the past. Just add a raised grate and your good to go.
    Darian
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    Just call Tom for the Mini Kim Woo:
    Then hang your pizza stone on the bottom and you are set to go....
    IMG_0908.jpg
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Hungry Celeste
    Options
    Funny you should mention the MiniWoo...I just bought the Woo for my Large last month, and I tried to buy the MiniWoo, also...but it was out of stock. I'm clicking over to order it right now. For some reason or other, I'm fixated on low & slow and/or baking on the Mini. Less is more at times.