Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Cleaned the Egg

Options
CarbonRiverKid
CarbonRiverKid Posts: 42
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I figured cleaning Ol' Smokey at least every year or so whether she needed it or not was a good idea...

4636911183_cf6aa9b2c3_b.jpg

Looking good. No cracks...

4637520960_cfa84a74fe_b.jpg

Opppps!

4636911521_72017a6fa4_b.jpg

Three vent holes plugged.

(note to self) Clean Out More Often!

Comments

• Boss Hogg
    Boss Hogg Posts: 1,377
    Options
    CRK-My egg definitely needs to be cleaned ala a long, high temp burn. BUT, I recently replaced my gasket with Nomex and I'm afraid I'll melt it off :unsure: so I'm tolerating my carbon and grease infused Egg until the gasket gets a little more wear and tear on it.
    Brian
  • 2Fategghead
    2Fategghead Posts: 9,624
    Options
    CarbonRiverKid, Well maybe it will breath a little better now. Tim ;)
  • garwig
    garwig Posts: 17
    Options
    ....and how did you clean it?
  • CarbonRiverKid
    Options
    It was just a quick clean out of built up unburned lump remains and ash. I've just been doing beef lately and am not concerned about the "patina".
  • Frobozz
    Frobozz Posts: 98
    Options
    This reminds me of the usefulness of what I call my 'Professional Barbecue Tool' [tm] -- a piece of metal rod. A one-foot piece of concrete rebar would probably be fine; I use the cross-brace from an old broken folding chair.

Before every cook, I use the Professional Barbecue Tool [tm] to stir the charcoal, thus forcing ashes out of the fire bowl, and then I poke it through each of the side opening holes to clear them. I also use it to stir the charcoal again after it's initially lit, helping to spread the burning coals around and making the coals more even through the fire bowl.

The Professional Barbecue Tool [tm] is good for all things that need poking.
  • NC-CDN
    NC-CDN Posts: 703
    Options
    I cleaned mine a couple of weekends ago. First time in years. I always clean out the ash and open the holes to ensure air flow, but this was the first time I'd cleaned the insides. I bleached it and use industrial strength cleaners. It worked great! JK. LOL. I just took it apart and on the inside of the dome and lower parts I used a wire brush. Just brushed it off and used a thin scraper blade. Worked like a charm. Now she is good for another few years. Honestly it worked the same before and after the cleaning. Just looks a little less gooky.
  • Kenny 13
    Kenny 13 Posts: 321
    Options
    My egg is still pretty new anyway, but 2 of my last 3 cooks have been high temp with the wok where I allowed it to preheat to 600°+ for about 15 minutes before cooking. All that carbon buildup inside the dome has burned off to a nice gray, almost silver color. Looks real purty :)
  • Jai-Bo
    Jai-Bo Posts: 584
    Options
    I like the smoked look, just adds more insulation :blink:
    Seriously I don't see the need to clean the "seasoned" parts of the egg, just clean the ash and keep the holes free of debis... :whistle:
    Hunting-Fishing-Cookin' on my EGG! Nothing else compares!