Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

crack on top of eqq

Options
lakecitynick
lakecitynick Posts: 2
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I'm thinking of buying a used egg. Have not seen it yet but have been told that it has a crack on top of egg. He does not think the crack is a through and through. what should I look for?

Comments

• lakecitynick
    Options
    I am thinking about buying a used egg. I have not seen it yet but have been told it has a crack in the top of egg. Seller says does not affect cooking and he does not believe the crack is a through and through. What problems do you folks think I should look for?
  • FlaPoolman
    FlaPoolman Posts: 11,677
    Options
    I think you should look for another egg
  • Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    Options
    If the person is the original owner and the crack was not due to negligence have him get a new top. If the crack was due to negligence I agree with Flapoolman.. Find a different egg.
  • cookingdude555
    cookingdude555 Posts: 3,194
    Options
    Call bge tomorrow and ask what a new dome costs for the size of that egg. Offer a price discounted to accomodate the dome purchase. It still could be a good deal.
  • FearlessGrill
    FearlessGrill Posts: 695
    Options
    To expand on what CW said, the BGE lifetime warranty on the ceramic parts only applies to the original owner. So if the guy who is selling the Egg is the original owner, a call from him to his dealer should get a brand new dome, which he can then give to you. If you buy the Egg from him and then try and get a new dome, you'll have to pay for it.

How much cheaper is this used Egg? It may not be worth not having a warranty of your own.

-John
  • ViennaJack
    ViennaJack Posts: 357
    Options
    I think it's worth a look. There could be some egg semantics at work here. Is the "top" the dome, the top daisy vent, or the ceramic vent cover? If the dome is cracked they need to get a new one under warranty, or you have a little math to do to determine the real value of a damaged Egg.