Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Best size for pizza & portability

Options
Petunia
Petunia Posts: 110
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
We had some friends over this weekend for pork butt off the egg. They were thoroughly impressed [ate seconds and took some leftovers home]. They are pizza fans and liked the possibilities the Egg afforded. He is in the Coast Guard which means moving every 2-3 years. They would like to get an Egg that is easy to move but still would do a pizza. The catalog doesn't list a stone for the small. Does anyone make an acceptable one for the small or should they just consider a medium? Any advice would be appreciated.

Comments

• Unknown
    Options
    to move an egg once every 2-3 years isn't that much of an issue, particularly when you are also moving appliances, couches & all other items in the house. Unless they are moving it around every 2-3 weeks, portability should not be a consideration, they should get a large & experience the full monty of possibilities the egg has to offer & the best size for pizza
  • JBUG99999
    JBUG99999 Posts: 263
    Options
    We picked up a potlifter and built a crate for our large. It really wasn't difficult to move at all. We even left the guts in the egg, and we still had no trouble lifting it into the back of the truck. If I were moving every month or two, I might think twice about a large, but every 2-3 years wouldn't be difficult at all. We're planning our BGE's next road trip for the fall. :woohoo:
  • ChargerGuy
    ChargerGuy Posts: 357
    Options
    When I bought my large I didn't even take into consideration the moving aspect (I am also in the Coast Guard). The last time I moved cross country I moved some stuff myself cause I don't trust movers. When I move again I will be moving my egg myself and I am sure I wont worry about the size as it will go with me no mstter the challenge! :laugh: Oh yeah and I love the Large for Pizza!
  • Bacchus
    Bacchus Posts: 6,019
    Options
    I agree with te others about getting the Large. Not easy to move, but not that hard either.
    Regarding Pizza on the small....BGE doesn't offer a Small Stone. Some say they medium BGE stone works on the small, but I tried recently with a friends medium stone and it did not work well for me. Reduced air flow caused too significant loss of heat.
  • berrygood
    berrygood Posts: 372
    Options
    Bacchus wrote:
    Regarding Pizza on the small....BGE doesn't offer a Small Stone. Some say they medium BGE stone works on the small, but I tried recently with a friends medium stone and it did not work well for me. Reduced air flow caused too significant loss of heat.
    I'm with you, Bacchus. Looking for a better alternative for the small. I bought the AR for the small and, frankly, I have been surprised to have had so much trouble finding a stone to fit.
  • Bacchus
    Bacchus Posts: 6,019
    Options
    I have used my small for pizza, without a stone. I used a small size pizza screen resting on the little green feet on the plate setter. It worked fine, but I prefer the way the crust cooks on a stone.
  • cookingdude555
    cookingdude555 Posts: 3,194
    Options
    No issues using my small for pizza here. I use the small plate setter, chubbys grate mates (raise grid above felt like, creates air between platesetter and pizza stone), and medium pizza stone.
  • Jersey Doug
    Jersey Doug Posts: 460
    Options
    I agree with the advice to buy a Large.

That said, I often cook pizza on our Small. The setup is an 8-1/2" pizza stone on the GrateMates ring to deflect the heat and a 12" Medium BGE pizza stone on the tall GrateMates extenders. I tried other setups and burned out a couple of gaskets in the process. The trick is to locate the heat deflector well below the felt line and the pizza stone well above it. I cook thin crust pizza at 450º in both the Small and the Large (and in the indoor oven).
  • Ripnem
    Ripnem Posts: 5,511
    Options
    I'll second that. ;)
  • Isolated01
    Isolated01 Posts: 157
    Options
    I am in the Coast Guard as well. I have a large and a mini. If the movers break it they buy it. Take pictures of the egg before the move. Simple enough, claim it as a high price item (like most electronics) and it's covered. I have not had any problems yet.
  • Petunia
    Petunia Posts: 110
    Options
    Thanks for all your advice. I will pass the information on to them. Actually moving the Egg should be simple compared to the 12 ducks, 2 dogs, and 2 cats they have to move.