Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Cherry Wood Question

Ozarkshooter
Ozarkshooter Posts: 65
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Newbie here. A while back, I trimmed an old cherry tree and an apple tree. I cut the largest diameter pieces into 2-3" chunks thinking I could use them for smoking.

Questions:
How long do I need to let them dry before using?

Do I need to trim the bark off, or can I smoke with the bark on?

Does it matter if the wood came from the limbs or trunk?

Thanks.

Comments

• Capt Frank
    Capt Frank Posts: 2,578
    Use it just like it is, wet or dry won't matter.
    Both are some of the best smoking woods you can get B)

Capt Frank
    Homosassa, FL
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Some people swear by using fresh cut fruit woods, saying the sap makes for a sweet flavor. So I've got a couple chunks of pretty fresh peach that I should try soon. Certainly good and dry won't be a problem. Cut into chunks, I'd expect just a few months would make them quite dry, properly stored.

I check to see if there is any lichens or fungus on the bark. If so, I cut away the bark.

Trunk heart wood should be more dense than limbs, and will burn more slowly, which is a good thing.
  • lots of opinions....

i will say that i have heard folks swear that green wood is the best, while some say that seasoned is the only way to go.

i have heard that bark on is a no-no, just as i have seen plenty that leave it on. i actually sometimes smoke with the bark of the shagbark hickory all by itself. i don't think there's anything sweeter smelling.

i don't think the BGE knows whether it is from the trunk, heartwood, or from the branches,... so feel free to use any of it. heck, even twigs are fine.

basically, do whatever works for you. no sense waiting a year to try it, in my book.
  • Capt Frank
    stripstike is right, and so is gdenby about checking the bark for bugs, fungus, etc, otherwise go for it :P
    Where are you? Can I bring my truck? :)

Capt Frank
    Homosassa, FL
  • Capt. Frank--
    I live in Iowa and have a ton of both cherry and apple that I would love to give to someone for the taking. I tried to give some away last year here on the forum but didn't even get a reply. Bucky Buckshot
  • Capt Frank
    That's a little further than I want to travel, about a thousand miles further :laugh: ,but thanks anyway :)

Capt Frank
    Homosassa, FL
  • Marlin -

I think that you and I spoke last year, but for some reason my email got screwed up. Can you shoot me an email like you did last year?

Thanks!
  • Thanks for all the info - greatly appreciated.

I think I will try to peel off as much of the bark as possible (unless it's too much work). I would think the bark would give off a more "bitter" smoke.
  • it won't, don't bother.

ever see them loading wood into a roadside pit? four foot long logs? bark does no harm to the smoke...
  • Iowa State egger--
    Being that I am kind of computer illiterate and am not registered I can't open your post however you could call me at 515-291-2074. I would love to hear from you.
    Bucky Buckshot
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Use whatever ya got. Green, dry, bark, lichen, spalted...whatever. I have some dogwood that has more lichen than bark. My oak came from dead, spalted branches I pulled from a tree in my yard. Both work just fine.

If you have ever cooked over an open fire when camping, you know that that's some of the best food you can eat. The only thing you care about there is whether or not it's dry enough to build the fire with. In the case of an egg, the LUMP is the fire.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut