Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Is Jerky too hard to attempt?

Options
Mark0525
Mark0525 Posts: 1,235
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
My son love's jerky and we just bought some at the butcher store. Is it hard to do my own on the egg? Not a lot of instructions out there.

Mark

Comments

• Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Options

No not at all. Get a good cut of meat either cut it your self or easier, have the butcher cut it for you. Do your marinade then cook.

I like using a lower lump level and a raised grid. lay the meat flat on the grid or rig a vertical type stand. You can even use some wooden kabob skewers and hang the jerky vertically through the grid - that puts the meat closer to the lump though.

There are a lot of forum members that have recipes and how too's on their sites.

Get over to thrideye's, bbq guru folks have something and I believe WessB has something on his too.

GG
  • Mark0525
    Options
    Thank you. I will give it a shot. Would a london broil work?
  • Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    Options
    MANY DO IT.

Jerky, Beef, Steve

Have you ever made something so yummy that you can't stop eating it?I ate it for lunch, dinner and just finished a bunch for breakfast. I haven't made jerky in about 3 years.I always cut my strips when it is still frozen

INGREDIENTS:
    5-lbs eye of round, trimmed:
    *Marinate for about 24 hours*
    1/3 cup Soy Sauce
    1/3 cup Teriyaki Sauce
    3 Tbs Worcestershire
    1/4 cup A-1 Steak Sauce
    1 Tbs Hot Sauce
    1 tsp Kosher
    1 tsp Tenderquick
    1 tsp Garlic Powder
    1 tsp Onion Powder
    1 1/2 tsp Chili Pepper Flakes
    1 tsp Black Pepper, freshly ground
    1/4 cup Brown Sugar
    1 Tbs Honey

Procedure:
    1 Plate setter with foil, firebricks and skewers
    2 Cooked on XL @ 225°F with plate setter I used a couple of chunks of good dried apple on top of Maple Leaf lump. I took some off after 6 hours and I let the rest go for a couple of hours more. It was only 32F yesterday so it took a while.
    3 Cheers,
    4 Steve
    5 Team Cedar Grilling
    6 Canada

Recipe Type
    Appetizer, Snack

Recipe Source
    Source: BGE Forum, Steve Adams, 2007/03/10

Jerky, Beef, Scotty

Reference Scott’s “Cold Smoking on the Egg” tutorial on the Naked Whizweb site at http://www.nakedwhiz.com/coldsmoking/coldsmokejerky.htm

INGREDIENTS:
    2 1/2 lbs Eye of Round (sliced 3/16” thick with the grain)
    2 Tbs. Dizzy Pig Raising the Steaks rub
    3 Tbs Fresh ground Ginger
    1 Tbs Fresh ground Lemon Grass
    2 pints Teriyaki Sauce
    1 cup almost boiling Water

Preparation :
    1 All the spices were put in the hot water and stirred well. This mix was then added
    2 to the teriyaki and then the sliced beef was added. I put the mix in a food saver jar,
    3 sealed it and put it in the fridge for 18 hours.
    4 Because I have a Guru, I used it. This is not a necessity, but it helps keep the temp
    5 dead on. I’m shooting for 155 degrees, as this smokes and dries the beef without
    6 cooking it.
    7 My Egg was 58 degrees at start up, 12 p.m. I set the guru pit temp for 100 degrees
    8 just to get it rolling, but not overshooting. By 12:45, the pit temp was 110 degrees. I
    9 let it hang for 30 minutes, then I moved the setting to 120. By 2:25 pit temp was
    10 and I moved my setting to 145, knowing that it would settle in around 155.
    11 Every couple of hours, I carefully use a wiggle stick to clear the ashes and settle the
    12 coals in the can. This inevitably results in coals hitting a new piece of wood, and
    13 fresh smoke releasing.
    14 At 12 hours my jerky was ready. I let it cool completely and then put small portions
    15 in Food Saver bags. The combination of the salt, dried meat and lack of oxygen
    16 makes for a jerky that will stay safe without refrigeration for more than a month.

Recipe Type
    Appetizer, Beef

Recipe Source
    Author: Scott Borders (Scotty’s Inferno)

Source: BGE Florida Eggfest '07, Scotty's Inferno
  • bobbyb
    bobbyb Posts: 1,349
    Options
    Check out the Hi Mountain jerky cure and seasoning kits. I've had success with these.

http://shop.himtnjerky.com/online/home.php?cat=248
  • USDA Prime
    USDA Prime Posts: 89
    Options
    Nope! My friend who "thinks" he can cook always takes a perfectly great 1 1/2 inch choice ribeye and by the time he gets through with it - it's jerky. Shall I tell him you're looking for a jerky recipe?
  • Grandpas Grub
    Options

I would think that would be fine, but I like eye of round. See Richards post below, he has put some great info there for you.

Kent
  • Grandpas Grub
    Options

This was my 1st attempt 3 or 4 years ago.

jerkyraw1.jpg

GG
  • Capt Frank
    Capt Frank Posts: 2,578
    Options
    I think we must have the same friend :laugh:

Capt Frank
    Homosassa, FL
  • Mark0525
    Options
    So the key is a low temp cook? I would think that would be hard to keep it that low.
  • Mark0525
    Options
    I've read people use a coffee can with used lump in it. Is that the only place you put lump? I bought the meat but now I need the setup and the best marinade :)
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,754
    Options
    the coffee can method works, i think its explained on the naked whiz site. for a first attempt go with the mound method, its real easy and the recipe is a great place to start out, temps can run a little higher with this method which makes things easier if your not up to holding real low temps
    http://bbq.yyyz.net/R_river_city_beef_jerky.asp
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Jeffersonian
    Jeffersonian Posts: 4,244
    Options
    I think your friend cooked the steak I had at a restaurant last week.