Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pork Roulade, Just Awesome!

Options
Capt Frank
Capt Frank Posts: 2,578
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
My buddy and his wife and I [mostly his wife] decided to collaborate on a Pork Roulade. Many thanks to LC and to Smoking Coles for their excellent posts on this cook :)

The loin with all the stuff, mozzarella, spinach, cheddar, sun dried tomatoes, onion, olives, sweet
peppers, pine nuts :P
4635714552_186bdc3c93_b.jpg

The Bacon weave was actually pretty simple, greasy, but simple :laugh:
4635715040_d2528a44e9_b.jpg

Cooked, my buddy handled the cook on his XL :)

4635112127_72eb619cb4_b.jpg

Sliced
4635112635_047f05eb6e_b.jpg

Plated w/Apple baked beans, roasted potatoes and pinapple slices :P
4635113231_614525b083_b.jpg

This was a fun cook and seriously good :woohoo:
Capt Frank
Homosassa, FL

Comments

• boston_stoker
    boston_stoker Posts: 794
    Options
    Looks great, got any tips on bacon weave?
  • Bacchus
    Bacchus Posts: 6,019
    Options
    Looks fantastic. Thanks for sharing!
  • Florida Grillin Girl
    Options
    It looks like it turned out great, very appetizing colors on the plate, too.

I took a picture of my handle, it's very uncomfortable with squared edges and your looks much nicer (and round). How did you attach it, I don't see any screw holes in yours.

P5232901.jpg
    Happily egging on my original large BGE since 1996... now the owner of 5 eggs. Call me crazy, everyone else does!

3 Large, 1 Small, 1 well-used Mini
  • Capt Frank
    Options
    Thanks,
    The weave was pretty simple, we started in the middle, laid a piece longways, then one across, laid another longways, then another across, once you get it started you just fold back every other cross strip, lay on a longways, fold back on the other side, and do the same thing, working around from both sides.
    Not sure if this explanation makes any sense, but I think the key is to start in the center and work out and around.
    Hope this helps B)

Capt Frank
    Homosassa, FL
  • Capt Frank
    Options
    Faith, what size egg is that? Will your handle [the metal part] come off easily?
    I used 1 1/4" oak dowel, cut a 3/4" grove about 1/16" deep in the back side on my router table, then fastened it with screws.
    I have some of the dowel and will be glad to make you one.

Capt Frank
    Homosassa, FL
  • Florida Grillin Girl
    Options
    Frank, this is an old large egg, the handle is attached and is part of the band. I see on my new large that the metal handle part unscrews from the band, maybe that is like the one you have.

Faith
    Happily egging on my original large BGE since 1996... now the owner of 5 eggs. Call me crazy, everyone else does!

3 Large, 1 Small, 1 well-used Mini
  • Big George's BBQ
    Big George's BBQ Posts: 1,152
    Options
  • Capt Frank
    Options
    Faith, yes, I have the newer model, much easier to deal with. I can still cut you out a handle, the groove in it allows it to fit flush on the metal band. You could run a couple of screws in from the back with a little offset screwdriver and smear some J-B Weld on it.
    Why don't you e-mail me so we can stop filling up the forum with this.

Capt Frank
    Homosassa, FL
  • Jeffersonian
    Jeffersonian Posts: 4,244
    Options
    Excellent, Frank, a feast for the eyes and palate!