Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Herb Growers-Rabbit Problems?

Options
Weekend Warrior
Weekend Warrior Posts: 1,702
edited November -1 in Off Topic
I spent a good part of the day today transplanting herbs into large patio pots and now am wondering if any of them are a particular favorite of our furry friends. This is my first crack at growing my own herbs and I have all of the pots sitting around my patio in reach of the critters. Planted were rosemary, oregano, chives, sage, parsley, dill, basil, cilantro and thyme. Do any of these need particular protection from rabbits and/or groundhogs? I'd hate to have all my work get eaten overnight.

One of my pet peeves is watching the Food Network chefs prepping their meals with a bushel of fresh herbs on their counter top in every show. I finally decided to do something about it. ;) lol

Comments

• eenie meenie
    eenie meenie Posts: 4,394
    Options
    WW, I've never had problems with the critters eating my herbs. Good luck! It will be nice to see your fresh herbs in your pics.
  • Bacchus
    Bacchus Posts: 6,019
    Options
    I too and growing herbs for the first time. Just what I spend on Basil will pay for my plants.
  • field hand
    field hand Posts: 420
    Options
    We have a number of herbs, some in the garden and some in pots on the deck. Haven't had any rabbit problems so far. We do have an electric fence around the garden to keep the deer out. The hot wire is about two feet high for the deer, nothing at rabbit height, but so far rabbits haven't been a problem. good luck.

Barry
    Marthasville, MO
  • Weekend Warrior
    Weekend Warrior Posts: 1,702
    Options
    Thanks for the replies folks. That's a relief. And Ron, you are exactly right. Because of their cost at the grocery, fresh herbs grown at home is money very well spent.
  • Capt Frank
    Capt Frank Posts: 2,578
    Options
    It occurs to me [my sick mind at work] that if you caught a little varmint in your herbs and invited home to dinner by way of the egg, that he would be Pre-Seasoned :ohmy:

Sorry, I couldn't resist :P

Capt Frank
    Homosassa, FL
  • Dimple's Mom
    Dimple's Mom Posts: 1,740
    Options
    I don't know about groundhogs, but most of those herbs are fairly fragrant, so should keep deer and bunnies away. Not sure about the parsley tho. You might want to put that pot up higher so bunnies can't reach it.
  • BUILDER
    BUILDER Posts: 45
    Options
    I've been doing herbs for a few years now and I'm not kidding when I say there's a rabbit in my front yard every night at around 6 and I don't have a problem with it eating my herbs. The herbs are in the back yard, pretty much unprotected and either there's easier food for it or they just don't care for them. Just my opinion.