Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

I found it on "Creggs" List - Needs a little Love

Options
Bulldog Mom
Bulldog Mom Posts: 242
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
My husband and I have been searching high and low for a gently used egg for my dad's Father's Day gift. Last Thursday, we hit the jackpot and purchased an 8-year old(?) small big green egg for $175.

Egg2.jpg

Egg1.jpg

EggGrate.jpg

DaisyWheel.jpg

The egg was in decent shape for the price. It needs a new handle, snuff cap and feet for sure. The daisy wheel is a little rusty and has a crack in it, but the top actually slides better than our new (less broken in) model. I'd like to be able to spruce up the glazing on the exterior surface and put in a new firebox door with a screen and possibly buy another DW to make it seem a little newer. Has anybody ever tried to recondition an older egg - esp the glazing and firebox door - that can provide any suggestions?

Comments

• Morro Bay Rich
    Morro Bay Rich Posts: 2,227
    Options
    As to the daisy wheel: Mine was rusting so I hit it with a wire brush knocking the rust off. Then painted it with flat black high temp engine paint (available at any auto parts store. Looks like new and the high temps it encounters have not had any affect on the new paint job. :)
  • "Sparky"
    "Sparky" Posts: 6,024
    Options
    While I'm sure that the paint works well Rich,I prefer to clean the daisy wheel and shoot it with Pam cooking spray.It works great and lasts a long time,and you can give it another shot when needed without worrying about drying times or clogging it up with excess paint.....or paint chips falling on your food.......just sayin :)
  • "Sparky"
    "Sparky" Posts: 6,024
    Options
    Hey Judi,it's pretty easy to replace the draft door with a new SS model.As for the exterior glaze,I use Simple Green to keep mine clean.If you want a brand-new BGE handle,send me your address,and I'll send you one for free :) I have a couple laying around that I don't need ;)
  • 2Fategghead
    2Fategghead Posts: 9,624
    Options
    Bulldog Mom, Good deal for you all the way around. You may want to see if the dome thermometer will calibrate while you are at it. Tim ;)
  • 2Fategghead
    2Fategghead Posts: 9,624
    Options
    Hey Sparky, I'll try that Simple Green tip. Tim ;)
  • Spring Chicken
    Spring Chicken Posts: 10,255
    Options
    Our sympathies to the family who lost a loved one and left them with no idea how to cook on the Big Green Egg.

Congratulations on your good fortune. Perhaps the former owner will return from the hereafter from time to time to sniff the air near your patio.

Make him proud.

Spring "If Heaven Is So Good Perhaps There Will Be Eggs There" Chicken
    Spring Texas USA
  • Bulldog Mom
    Bulldog Mom Posts: 242
    Options
    Sparky: Many thanks for your generous offer. I will send you my address tonight! And, I will let my dad know that eggheads around the world came to our aid. THANK YOU!

Spring Chicken: You are closer to the truth than you can imagine. The person we bought the egg from inherited from his deceased grandfather. All other family members HAVE BGEs and LOVE THEM. He was apparently adopted because in his own words "I hate it."

I'm going to pay ahead my good fortune to my dad as repayment for raising me right and footing the bill for my college education - hopefully the sprits of cooks past will treat him well.
  • Bear
    Bear Posts: 32
    Options
    I agree, Pam works well!

;)

B.
  • EgginDawg
    EgginDawg Posts: 747
    Options
    Send me one for my small Sparks...the one I bought at the retail store lost it's enamel and is rotting. Maybe we can get together some weekend soon and spruce-up mine as we discussed earlier? ;)
  • Cruezn
    Cruezn Posts: 317
    Options
    I didn't know people sold their eggs :blink: . I was at a meeting a couple weeks ago and got talking BBQ with one of my directors, and he had an egg and got rid of it. I told him I can't talk to him anymore...