Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

large vs xl

muls
muls Posts: 2
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
i am buying my first bge in the am, not sure if i want the large or the extra large.

We have four in our house and cook out often< five, six times a year we can have 10 over, 3 times a year 30+< love cookin pork, beef and turk during holidays

+

Comments

• Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226

You sure have a lot of returns there my friend, kind of a pain in the ass actually.

Good question. I am coming from one who has not used an XL but I have all the eggs from the large down.

2 in our family. Several times a week 3 to 5 of us. Once a month up to 30. The large worked great for a long time and I didn't need any other grid space.

I have no need to transport any of the eggs. We use the mini about as much as the large. I haven't used the small in over a year now. Medium once in a while if I want to cook foods at different temperatures.

For me, doing it all over, I would probably get a large, then mini and a second large. It might be fun to have a XL but I really have not needed the space.

GG
  • Fire Walker
    Fire Walker Posts: 241
    Both are fine cookers. I have the XL and enjoy the extra grill area but have cooked on the large but after the XL it felt small.
    Firewalker
  • Capt Frank
    Capt Frank Posts: 2,578
    As GG said, you will get a lot of responses and opinions, but from how you described your needs, I think the large will be the best for you. It will do all you need, has many more available EGGcessories, comes up to temp faster,uses less lump, is cheaper [savings can be "invested" in Eggcessories], all around a better choice for most of us [I think] B)
    Just my .02 ct :P

Capt Frank
    Homosassa, FL
  • EGGARY
    EGGARY Posts: 1,222
    This question gets asked a lot and most of the responses will be the Large. What Fire Walker said was very valid. I too have an XL and yes we are a family of just 4, but I like having the extra space. The idea that the XL uses more Lump is bunk. I have a Lump Reducer that I use most of the time and with that amount of Lump there is no difficulty in getting to temperature. There are EGGCESSORIES for the XL as well. Check out the CERAMIC STORE website. You will see the accessories for the XL. It depends on what your needs are.

You won't go wrong with your choice. You will be getting an EGG !

Enjoy the journey.

Gary
  • I'll chime in again--I have an XL and Lge. Just two of us, seldom cook for more than 6. For low and slow, the XL comes to temp and just chugs along, quick hot cooks the Lge gets there quicker and variations in temp just don't matter as much. I could easily get by with the Lge, but love the extra space and temp control with the XL. If I could only have one, it would be the XL--I see why the Lge users need all the accessories, with the XL I can do anything I desire with just the place setter for indirect.

They are both great grills, no bad choice.
  • Bash
    Bash Posts: 1,011
    Depends on what you plan to do. From low-n-slo, the large is big enough. If you do a lot of grilling, and more surface area, the XL is nice. But the XL is heavy & huge, and it will burn more lump at high temps (like for pizza, searing, etc), unless you use the lump reducing ring.

If I were you, I'd probably get the large, and plan on getting a medium or small in the future.

I have an XL and medium, and probably use the medium 60% of the time, and I have a family of 7 (but one of those is a toddler and one a newborn). If I could only keep one, it would be the XL.

I don't think you would be disappointed with either.
  • muls
    muls Posts: 2
    Thanks everyone,it sounds like I shou;d buy them all. I'll let you all how it works out.
  • greenfan
    greenfan Posts: 94
    I have an XL and I love it. Just a family of 4, but when you cook space intensive stuff like ribs you will appreciate it. But.....I have never had a large (or medium, or small, or mini) so I am not the best judge. Just glad I got the XL.
  • stevesails
    stevesails Posts: 990
    my thoughts exactly.. no rereats on the xl. I have slod machine tools in the past. I havae heard buying to small, but never too big.
    XL   Walled Lake, MI

• lowandslow
    lowandslow Posts: 122
    Just picked up my egg today. Was debating over same thing. Went with XL.. Thought Large was too small @ 18.5 inches cooking grate. If the grate was 20 inches, I would go with the large. Not big enough if you have guests. You will have the egg for a long time. Do it the right way the first time, go XL.
    Hasbrouck Heights, NJ

XL Egg
  • Crimsongator
    Crimsongator Posts: 5,797
    If you can reasonably afford the XL, get it. I have both and use my XL regularly.

The other prevailing argument is to get the L and small to compliment each other (and avoid the XL)
  • lowandslow
    lowandslow Posts: 122
    Just picked up my egg today. Was debating over same thing. Went with XL.. Thought Large was too small @ 18.5 inches cooking grate. If the grate was 20 inches, I would go with the large. Not big enough if you have guests. You will have the egg for a long time. Do it the right way the first time, go XL.
    Hasbrouck Heights, NJ

XL Egg
  • Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    This is a pre-recorded message:

I often hear that the large does not have the capacity to cook for a large family.

Let me tell you that is a lot of bull. When my family gets together we are typically 20+. My XL sits there and wishes I would use him.

So here is my proof:

Please note the amount of sausage on this egg:
    IMG_8030-020.jpg

6 7-9 pound butts on this egg:

IMG_8055-033.jpg

Just for contrast please note the amount of meat on this Lang 60:

IMG_8059-035.jpg

I cooked 18 butts on 3 eggs and took up less space.

My XL gets used when I cater and even then it's only used for something that may not physically fit on my large and can't be cut into smaller chunks.

Ohh did I tell you I have 2 small eggs too. You will NOT be disappointed with the Egg, unless you fail to learn how to use it or don't use it. Many of us use it as our primary cooking source year round.