Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Dome temps vs. cooking temps?

RLA
RLA Posts: 89
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
When a recipe calls for cooking at 250 deg....ribs for example....is that the dome temp, or the temp at cooking(grate) level?? Ive seen you guys mention 220deg to 250deg for PP...is that dome or cooking level? ....or.....does it matter???
Bob

Comments

• Spin
    Spin Posts: 1,375
    RLA,[p]Cooking temps are quoted as according to the dome temperature gauge. In this way we all can utilize the method or recipe.[p]Spin

• Gfw
    Gfw Posts: 1,598
    RLA, I've always considered the temps posted to be the temp according to the dome thermometer unless posted as internal temperature. I have no idea what the grid level temp is, probably a bit less than the dome.

• Dr. Chicken
    Dr. Chicken Posts: 620
    Bob,
    I always state the dome temp. That way everyone is working from the same sheet of paper. When I have to change the temps, I give the target internal temp to do the change at and then give the new dome temp to change to! I think spin, Gfw, Tim M, Nature Boy, KOC, Cat, Char Woody and all the other hands do the same thing.(I'm not trying to overlook or slight anyone, just shortening it!) [p]BTW, the banquet went off without a hitch! We had 56 ladies at the thing. We started serving a half hour late, but that worked to our advantage, since the speaker and her husband got mixed up on the time and were an hour late! I was up fer nearly 28 straight hrs and when I hit the sack last evening I slept fer 12 solid hours! Its been years since I did that! Really felt good![p]Dr. Chicken

• King-O-Coals
    King-O-Coals Posts: 510
    Dr. Chicken, I'll bet the last you were awake for that long, you were wearing bunker gear and it took 2 weeks of baths to get the smoke out of your ears and hair........

• King-O-Coals
    King-O-Coals Posts: 510
    RLA, in my opinion, doz guyz told ya right. You will hear phrases like "the dome temp was kept at 200 until the internal got to 180". "Dome temps" are your cooking apparatus temps and "internal" refers to the temp of the inside of your meats.

• JimW
    JimW Posts: 450
    RLA,
    The actual grill temp (where the meat is) runs 20 to 30 degrees less than the dome temp. I measured it a couple of times. As said before, everyone here posts dome temp as a common measure.
    JimW