Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT; garbage can smoker & ribs (kinda long)

Options
Firetruck
Firetruck Posts: 2,679
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
A friend at work was talking about needing a smoker. He knows how good the egg is because I won't shut up about it. He was saying he wanted to build one. I told him about some garbage can smokers I had seen so we began to look on the net for some.

I was surprised when he called me the next day and said "I'm on the way to lowes, wanna go?" Like any good friend "I said sure I'll go with ya!" See that's what's wrong with the world today...no one goes to lowes to look at garbage cans with their friends anymore. :laugh: JK.

When we got there, we began brainstorming about how to make it work. We went home, cut out the bottom, drilled holes, added bolts to hold the grates, and cut an old freon cylinder in half to make a fire box.

IMG_2857.jpg

IMG_2856.jpg

IMG_2855.jpg

IMG_2849.jpg

We cooked on it a couple of times and today was the first low and slow.

I learned to cook ribs, butts, chicken, etc. on the egg so this has taken a lot of learning. It obviously don't hold a candle to the egg but just to sit around and visit with folks all day and cook, it was pretty fun.

On the ribs I coated with bat byrons and then brown sugar. They actually turned out very good.

IMG_2852.jpg

IMG_2851.jpg

IMG_2854.jpg

Just something to play with :)

Comments