Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
It’s almost football season, so we’re perfecting our favorite tailgating and homegating recipes! Whether you like hamburgers, wings, brats, ribs or something cooked with beer, we have everything you’ll need for the perfect tailgate party. We always like inviting friends to join our tailgates because the EGG is about community and having fun, so make sure if you’re inviting company you make extra - the food will be gone before you know it! Don't forget dessert, either!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Tricks/tips for temp control???

wrinkleswrinkles Posts: 3
edited 3:18AM in EggHead Forum
Any tips/tricks for temp control?

First off, hello. Totally new to the BGE, and this forum, and want to say thanks to all because I've learned a ton already.

My question is on temp control. I'm wondering what the tricks are for keeping the egg at one temp. I can't seem to find the happy spot for keeping the temp constant. I seem to over shoot the temp and then struggle to get it back down. Or, I'm under and then go over and then back under...on and on.

Curious what you pros have found works the best to stabilize the egg (setting on the daisy wheel and/or draft vent) for maintaining a temp once you reach it.

Also, looking to do some burgers tonight and have had a heck of a time getting the egg beyond 500*. I'm guessing I just need to add more charcoal.?

Thanks!

Comments

• Setting the draft door just barely cracked and the daisy wheel only open hair works for me at 225.

For slow and low I start the fire shallow, for High heat I start deep.

Make sure you fill the pit with good lump charcoal the nakedwhiz.com has the best reviews.

I have switched to a bbq guru now. Cruise Control! bbqguru.com
  • Capt FrankCapt Frank Posts: 2,578
    Grandpa's Grub has the answer to all your questions on
    "Tips, Links & Useful Information" in the search forum.
    It is possibly the best reference anywhere for cooking on the EGG! B) Pictures too! :woohoo:

Capt Frank
    Homosassa, FL
  • Mike in AbitaMike in Abita Posts: 3,302
    The Naked Whiz has all of your ceramic cooking answers. Poke around a little and you should be set. Welcome to the forum and the best cooking instrument IMO. http://www.nakedwhiz.com/ceramic.htm
  • wrinkleswrinkles Posts: 3
    Thanks guys. The Naked Whiz and Grandpa's helps a bunch. Lots to consider and trial and error will be lessened.

Now, on to slow cooking this pork shoulder I have sitting here....