Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

gasquet replacement

skyhawk
skyhawk Posts: 12
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
A few years ago there was a rumor floating around about a new gasquet replacement kit that was made of Teflon or some other material than the original. What ever became of that? Is there such a thing.

Skyhawk

Comments

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    I believe you are referring to the Nomex gasket which BGE "rolled out" a couple years ago. Don't visit here often, huh? :whistle: :laugh:
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • skyhawk
    Been way too busy. Does BGE sell them over the internet? Are they better than the other one?

Thanks
  • RRP
    yes and some dealers are now carrying them - initially there were problems with the adhesive backing and then they suggested a 3M glue. Mine were early failures and I never went back to them, but others here like it.
    IMG_1025.jpg
  • skyhawk
    thanks RRP,

I went to the search engine & really got an eye full of discussion on this. Sorry to bother you befor I do my research. I'm coachable though.
  • SmokingLong
    SmokingLong Posts: 34
    Skyhwak - if you go with Nomex make sure you preshrink extensively before apply it to the Egg. I think that was my main problem first time around. I also recommend buying a cheap paint to apply the 3M adhesive to the gasket. Spray an ample amount into a disposable cup or pan and then apply with the paint brush.
  • RRP
    or eliminate the middle step...what I mean is the 3M is rubber cement mixed with alcohol and pressurized so it is in an aerosol can. Spraying it into a cup and then quickly using a paint brush to apply it before it hardens has never made sense to me. Why not just start with a can or jar of rubber cement and brush it on. That's a lot cheaper and quicker besides.