Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Egg, Smoke, say what?, Long rant

Options
tach18k
tach18k Posts: 1,607
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
The mystery of smoking on the Egg. When to add wood, when is it safe, when, when, when. Every week the questions come and we all give our answers. One of the most confusing one I see, is "letting all your smoke clear before putting your food on". When I light my lump with my Mapp gas torch, I light in 3 spots, load the grate and plate setter and whatever else except the food. Then I wait for the temp to get where ever it needs to be, 250, 325, 500 whatever. Let's take 250 for ribs, now it is 250 and I have the vents closed to 1/8" opening on top and the bottom vent closed to 1/8" opening. There is no signs of the lump smoking. So now I make sure it is "stable" meaning it will stay at 250 all by itself for at least 15-20 minutes. So time wise I'm about 45 minutes from lighting the lump to stable 250. I now open the dome, pull out the grate toss in my wood chucks, maybe 3 or so, replace the grate, and add the my ribs. I close the dome and I come back 3 hours later to check on things. The smoke from the chunks lasted about 45 minutes and no more than an hour, just perfect for me, not over kill and not under smoked. The ribs keep on going till that 3 hour mark. Then from there it may change, it may continue, whatever. This seems so simple to me as I have done this for 8 years I think, for the new person it may seem like "what the heck" Which smoke do I let clear, the lump or the chunks? I say let the lump smoke clear, that has the worst takes ever. I can cook with just lump and no chunks of wood, and I can't taste anything odd or smoky. Of course, I let the Egg stable its temp before placing food on it. By this time the smoke form the lump has cleared, way before I add wood chunks to flavor my food.

Comments

• gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    I think most folks add the wood with the lump, and so any heavy smoke from the wood is gone by the time the lump burns clean.
  • Jupiter Jim
    Jupiter Jim Posts: 3,351
    Options
    tach,
    Man ya nailed it, that is how I do it and it works very well. Wish I could explain things like that. I hope it helps some of the newbies.
    Jupiter Jim

I'm only hungry when I'm awake!

Okeechobee FL. Winter

West Jefferson NC Summer

• Rolling Egg
    Rolling Egg Posts: 1,995
    Options
    I agree. Same here. Light the lump and get it stable at 250. By that time usually all the heavy lump smoke has cleared up. On with the hickory chunks and meat. Works every time.
  • civil eggineer
    civil eggineer Posts: 1,547
    Options
    I think the best advice is to smell the exhaust before you place the meat in. Initially, while the VOCs are burning off, the smoke is nasty and easily detected using your nose. I bury my wook chunks throughout the lump so the smoke generates throughout the cook but have on occasion thrown it on the top when doing short cooks such as steak, etc.
  • llrickman
    llrickman Posts: 654
    Options
    I throw hickory on right before i throw on my steaks, but for long cooks i will add it through the lump then maybe a little on top as the meat goes on
    2 LBGE
    Digi Q
    green Thermapen
    AR

Albuquerque, NM