Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Kraut Burgers - First Attempt

Options
Hawg Fan
Hawg Fan Posts: 1,517
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
When I was growing up my mother would make this roll that she called kraut burgers. I was reminded of them earlier this week when I talked to her and asked about the recipe. Today was my first attempt.

I started by browning some ground beef and onions and then added shredded cabbage until wilted.
DSC00079.jpg

Made the yeast dough from scratch and rolled out to 1/2" thickness and cut with a 3" biscuit cutter.
DSC00080.jpg

Brushed the dough with butter and then added the meat mixture and topped with dough and pinched the seams.
DSC00085.jpg

After 25 minutes in the oven at 350 degrees.
DSC00088.jpg

Served to my son who drove home from St Louis today.
DSC00091.jpg

The kraut burgers were good, but next time I'll roll the dough to a 1/4" and make larger rolls so that I can include more of the filling.

While I was baking in the house I had dinner cooking on the EGG. Thanks for reading my post.

DSC00093.jpg

DSC00094.jpg

DSC00097.jpg

Any road will take you there if you don't know where you're going.

Terry

Rockwall, TX

Comments

• berrygood
    berrygood Posts: 372
    Options
    Love the cook, HF. I'll have to give those kraut burgers a try sometime. Thanks for the new idea.
  • Eggsakley
    Eggsakley Posts: 1,019
    Options
    Nicely done. I agree with teh more filling theory. Great lookin spread there. :)
  • Ghostlight
    Ghostlight Posts: 23
    Options
    Chain of Runza joints in Nebraska. My folks grew up there and made those all the time growing up. Try green cabbage next time and toss in some minced jalapeno's :P

BTW - I roll my bread out SUPER thin and get 1/4 cup of the filling in each one. Brush w/ a little egg-wash and they get a nice crunchy exterior.
  • Lothar
    Lothar Posts: 30
    Options
    Beat me to it. Runza is huge in Nebraska but be careful calling those Runzas. They have that name trademarked and are quick to sue. When I was a kid, Lincoln Public Schools served "Bunzas" but Runza either sued or threatened to sue and LPS ended up changing them to "Kraut Burgers". I think several years later the term Kraut Burger was deemed politically incorrect and they ended up changing the name again to something like seasoned beef rolls or something like that.
  • KC Transplant
    Options
    Runza in Lawrence, KS. Loved that place. And they were cheap on a college kid's budget. Certainly an acquired taste for some.

Isn't a bierock something similar?
  • Hawg Fan
    Hawg Fan Posts: 1,517
    Options
    Ghostlight, thanks for the advice. Jalapenos will kick them up a notch and the dough needs to be thinner.

That's the great thing about this forum. People are always willing to share there ideas and knowledge.

Any road will take you there if you don't know where you're going.

Terry

Rockwall, TX