Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Newb..Nest on deck?

Options
Fornia
Fornia Posts: 451
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Looking to place my new LBGE with Nest on my deck.

Question is... Do I need to put something like those rubber 'rounds' under each wheel. So that the things wont move??? Or a mat?

The nest glides pretty well on the deck without the Egg. Thats what made me ask.

I'm gonna cook on this Egg soon..dangit!! :) The suspense/impatience is getting to me now.

Thanks!

Comments

• egret
    egret Posts: 4,170
    Options
    I've had three, and sometimes four, eggs on my deck for several years in their nests and have never had any problem......and it gets pretty windy sometimes up here on the ridge. Don't worry about it........
  • Bash
    Bash Posts: 1,011
    Options
    I have an XL in the nest, and the thing doesn't budge. I'd have to sweep up the charcoal bits to be able to roll it. :blush:
  • Eggtucky
    Eggtucky Posts: 2,746
    Options
    you can get those cheap fire retardent mats at Lowe's...I mainly have them down cuzz over time your floor will blacken from the lump droppings if you have a natural floor...plus the mats do give a lil extra flying spark protection....
    Porch080408.jpg
  • Brokersmoker
    Brokersmoker Posts: 646
    Options
    I've had nested egg on naked deck for a year now and have never had anything even make me think that it needs more protection. Cook away and enjoy!
  • Jai-Bo
    Jai-Bo Posts: 584
    Options
    You ain't cooked on it yet!!! :ohmy: I think I had mine unpacked and put together 3-4 hours when I cooked on mine, it wasn't much----jalapeno/cheddar dawgs and corn on the cob but at leas it smoked..... :woohoo:

I don't think you'll have a problem as long as your deck isn't slick.....Welcome to the egg family :whistle:
    Hunting-Fishing-Cookin' on my EGG! Nothing else compares!
  • mr toad
    mr toad Posts: 780
    Options
    can these be used - outdoors - how do the take rain and sun

mr toad
    See no Evil - Hear no Evil - Speak no Evil
                        Smoke no Evil

BGE - Mini, Small, Medium, Large
  • Lothar
    Lothar Posts: 30
    Options
    I keep my egg on my deck and it can get quite windy as kind of a natural wind tunnel occurs but the egg has never moved on its own. I was more concerned about it gradually rolling backwards a little bit each time I opened the dome but it doesn't move.

As for being outside in rain or sun (or snow), I don't think any of the above will harm the egg but as a general rule of thumb it is probably best to invest in a cover.
  • civil eggineer
    civil eggineer Posts: 1,547
    Options
    If you are talking wooden deck, there are some issues. One of the regulars on this forum (Little Steven) nearly had his home burnt to the ground as a result of an ember. If your talking about a concrete patio then there is no issue.