Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Sold out???? Maybe I don\'t understand.

Options
thebtls
thebtls Posts: 2,300
edited November -1 in Off Topic
I'm not trying to be disruptive, but how do you sell out of an event held in a parking lot of a hotel? What exactly does an eggfest registration cover? And what happens to someone that shows up that has not registered, you send them home? Just wondering.
Visit my blog, dedicated to my Big Green Egg Recipies at http://www.bigtsbge.blogspot.com You can also follow my posts on FaceBook under the name Keep On Eggin' or the link http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Keep-On-Eggin/198049930216241

Comments

• Capt Frank
    Capt Frank Posts: 2,578
    Options
    I can only say that a lot of these things are out of the control of the organizers. It may be a "parking lot", but it is on the grounds of a hotel. Enter the Fire Marshall :ohmy: They will tell you, no, dictate to you is a better term, exactly how many people you can have on the premises! No discussion :angry: This is the world we live in! :(

Capt Frank
    Homosassa, FL
  • CBBQ
    CBBQ Posts: 610
    Options
    There's a lot to consider and you wouldn't believe the issues with the Fire and Health Depts along with local governments. Flames and raw meat not only draw crowds but they also bring on the officials. If there is limited cooking space and/or eggs it doesn't do any good to have 400 people trying to get food from 10 cooks. At most events there is a "gate" to go through to get to the fest area.
  • Dimple's Mom
    Dimple's Mom Posts: 1,740
    Options
    Could be a lot of reasons. For ours, we cannot 'advertise' to the general public. It has to be like a customer appreciation thing. This is for the health department - we are not allowed to have a 'public' gathering of this type where we're serving food. Therefore, technically speaking, no walk-ups are allowed.

Plus, I think they figure x number of cooks will feed a crowd of a certain size and they don't want to have it all out of balance.

As a person who has organized an eggfest, I can say that Frank is right when he says there are many things out of the hands of the organizers.
  • PhilsGrill
    PhilsGrill Posts: 2,256
    Options
    If you don't have your yellow colored wrist band, you will be asked to leave.
  • So Cal EGGhead
    Options
    I held an EGGfest last year for the first time and found out the hard way about all of the issues you commented on already.

I did it all the legal way and found it hard to handle. We had about 100 walk ups all about the same time and not enough people to handle to ticket sales. The line was long!

This year, I am taking your advice and pre-selling only. The event can remain a "non-public" event and be considered an appreciation thing.

I also had to bounce a few people last year that snuck in. It is a crappy feeling to do it, but C'mon, sack up people!!!!