Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

BGE LUMP??

Options
chiefsfan
chiefsfan Posts: 8
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Is it really better than the others???? has anyone tried anything else?

Comments

• danny285
    danny285 Posts: 360
    Options
    Good but overpriced. frontier is the best price.
  • Misippi Egger
    Misippi Egger Posts: 5,095
    Options
    It's made by Royal Oak. My Wally World carries the USA-made Royal Oak - 10# for $6.37.
  • stevesails
    stevesails Posts: 990
    Options
    I am now using the lump from GFS. they say it is Royal Oak, same as BGE half the price, I have also used some Cowboy lump I bought at Home Depot, there were pebbles and nails in the bottom of my firepit when I cleaned it out.
    XL   Walled Lake, MI

• loco_engr
    loco_engr Posts: 5,765
    Options
    If you are ever near a Menards, they sell RO Steakhouse
    in 8.8# (green)bags for $4.64.
    aka marysvilleksegghead
    Lrg 2008
    mini 2009
    XL 2021 (sold 8/24/23)
    Henny Youngman:
    I said to my wife, 'Where do you want to go for our anniversary?' She said, 'I want to go somewhere I've never been before.' I said, 'Try the kitchen.'
    Bob Hope: When I wake up in the morning, I don’t feel anything until noon, and then it’s time for my nap
  • Unknown
    Options
    chiefsfan wrote:
    Is it really better than the others???? has anyone tried anything else?

I'm surprised no one mentioned this but go look at the Naked Whiz site. He has done a very comprehensive review of Charcoal. It is definitely worth the read.
    Cheers.
  • Cpt'n Cook
    Cpt'n Cook Posts: 1,917
    Options
    I use Cowboy as my everyday lump. It's about $12.00 for a 20 lb. bag at Ace. I find it lights quick, burns clean and doesn't make much ash. I find an occasional stone in it but that is true with a lot of lump. I use Wicked Good for long cooks.
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Options

Royal Oak private labels for BGE, Korger, and probably many others.

Out here I have Cowboy and RO as well as several other mesquite (made in Mexico) brands.

RO and Cowboy have much less ash residue burn clean and are much less sparky. Cowboy seems to give off less smoke taste in the meat than the other lump I can get.

GG
  • Cruezn
    Cruezn Posts: 317
    Options
    When I first started buying lump, all I used was BGE, simply because I didn't know there was anything else. After the 2nd bag in a row of BGE containing nothing but small and a very few medium pieces, I started looking for alternatives. Based off the forum and TNW site, I use Wicked Good for long cooks, and Royal Oak from Wal*Mart for my hotter cooks. Just my preferences, and both are cheaper than BGE. Royal Oak, significantly so.
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Options

I can't get Wicked out here so I am SOL on using that.

I find more junk in RO than I do in Cowboy and haven't found any junk in the mesquite (so far).

Cowboy mostly has large pieces, mesquite has HUGE pieces (tree trunk sizes) and RO or BGE seems to be pretty darn small. With RO/BGE I get very few pieces that are palm size - mostly 2" or so.

Once in a while I have to use a wiggle rod with the smaller pieces of RO.

GG
  • walrusegger
    walrusegger Posts: 314
    Options
    I'ved used (in order of what I consider best to worst):

1. Royal Oak (from Wegmens, Fairfax, VA) - Makers of BGE, great lump, big pieces, great smoke, little ash, and great price, my go to lump.

2. BGE - Very consistent, great smoke, burns great, very little ash, but pricey

3. Frontier (Fischer Hardware, Ace) - Good lump, burns very hot, great for steaks, burgers, but also burns pretty well time wise, great price ($12/20lb), very little smoke (which the wife likes), smaller pieces overall, overall good lump

4. Cowboy (In local Giant grocery stores) - Very convenient for me, price is very good, overall good lump, burns fine, smoke ok, I would buy again, but prefer the others if I have them around.

I have yet to run into what I'd call bad lump or a brand I wouldn't ever use again. The Royal Oak in the blue bag at Wegmans seems to be the best for the money.

Just my opinion.
  • FrankC
    FrankC Posts: 416
    Options
    loco_engr wrote:
    If you are ever near a Menards, they sell RO Steakhouse
    in 8.8# (green)bags for $4.64.

In fact, right now, it's on sale thru May 31st for $3.97. I just got back from picking up a dozen bags!

fc
  • bobbyb
    bobbyb Posts: 1,349
    Options
    +1 on Royal Oak.
  • Pilcher Man
    Pilcher Man Posts: 87
    Options
    I've been using FULL CIRCLE I bought from Brookshires Food Store. I mix it with my BGE lump and the FC burns just fine. Besides BGE and FC, there are no other choices in my neck of the woods. Naked Whiz gave FC a good review.
  • loco_engr
    loco_engr Posts: 5,765
    Options
    Dayum! Thanks Frank!

I feel a road trip coming!! :woohoo:
    aka marysvilleksegghead
    Lrg 2008
    mini 2009
    XL 2021 (sold 8/24/23)
    Henny Youngman:
    I said to my wife, 'Where do you want to go for our anniversary?' She said, 'I want to go somewhere I've never been before.' I said, 'Try the kitchen.'
    Bob Hope: When I wake up in the morning, I don’t feel anything until noon, and then it’s time for my nap
  • dtc
    dtc Posts: 24
    Options
  • dtc
    dtc Posts: 24
    Options
    Cowboy has too many small pieces and dust for me.

Full Circle has been much better and is priced well.

Wicked Good Weekend Warrior is my favorite by far. It reminds me of the charooal I grew up with as a kid in the 50's. It actually looks like it comes from trees! It lights quickly, burns hot when needed and lasts forever at low temperatures.