Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

When to close the lid?

Options
schmeetex
schmeetex Posts: 69
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Newbie question here...I've tried several methods but can't determine which is best.

When trying to get the BGE to "searing" temperatures, when do you close the lid to get things really heated up? I use one or two of the starters, but still wondering when the optimum time is to close the lead to get the Egg to 700.

SchmeeTex

Comments

• Bacchus
    Bacchus Posts: 6,019
    Options
    Shouldnt matter a whole lot. Just make sure you have a full load of lump, the egg is relatively clean of ash, etc and let er rip.
  • WessB
    WessB Posts: 6,937
    Options
    I close as soon as I light the starter cubes...gives the chimney effect more time to work..and I do that no matter what temp I plan on cooking at..
  • Capt Frank
    Capt Frank Posts: 2,578
    Options
    Here is how I do it for any temp really, the best way to get the lump going, at least using starter cubes, which is all I have ever used, is to place them in three places in your lump, 10-2-6, push them down into the lump a little and light. I am cooking on a large, I cut the cubes in half diagonally, so I am using three triangles, 1 1/2 cubes.
    I let them burn for no more than a minute or so before closing the dome, Bottom vent wide open, top vent not in place. You will get a little surge of heat from the cubes, then things will settle down as the lump ignites and the cubes die out. After a few minutes things will happen quickly as the lump catches and you just have to watch your temp and slow it down on the way up. It takes a little practise and patience, but it works :)
    Sorry this is so wordy, but that's how I do it, and I wanted to be thurough :laugh:

Capt Frank
    Homosassa, FL
  • schmeetex
    schmeetex Posts: 69
    Options
    Thanks for the advice! And as with many things EGG...it looks like there are several different ways to make it work!

SchmeeTex
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Unlike the previous respondents, I let it burn for awhile with the top open. I feel it engages more charcoal that way. I typically do this until the starters have all burned up. I do this for ordinary temp cooks too, not just high heat.

Then i close the dome and the chimney effect kicks in.
  • BillHill
    BillHill Posts: 109
    Options
    My technique

lift lid

open bottom up all the way

I make a shallow little pit for a quarter size piece of starter stick.

Then I light it and build a chimney above my tiny fire with little pieces of lump till it's about 2 inches above the pit I made.

leave lid up for 10-15 minutes then adjust vents to temp i desire