Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Gasket

Options
pgf
pgf Posts: 14
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
How long should a gasket last? I just bought the egg and have used it a dozen times. I have noticed that the gasket on the left side is getting brittle. Please advise.

Comments

• gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    Have you done a "dollar" test? That is, place a dollar on the rim, close the dome, and see if the paper is held snugly. If not, you are getting some air flow thru, and the felt is burning a little. You might need to loosen the dome band, and push the dome down and re-fasten.

If its a small gap, it can take months for the erosion to get bad, and often, with repeated cooks, the felt will clog up with gunk" and form a better seal. I had one gasket that burnt half way through, and once the dome was seated better, it lasted almost two years.

Don't worry about how the gasket looks, just watch for escaping smoke.
  • WessB
    WessB Posts: 6,937
    Options
    You may need to adjust your bands or more specifically, the way the dome seats on the base...see if you can find anything by searching "the dollar bill test" ..
  • WessB
    WessB Posts: 6,937
    Options
    now thats funny..ya beat me by 5 seconds...LOL
  • pgf
    Options
    Thanks for the information, I will try the dollar test. As far as the seating of the dome, there is no visible smoke coming out of the side of the egg. I will definitely put the dollar in the area where I am seeing the problem.
  • Humphrey Chimpden Earwicker
    Options
    the original felt will crush down into a great little gasket over time, gunked up (a good thing) by soot, smoke, fat, etc.

only when it falls off or you notice smoke leaking profusely should you worry.

if you need to replace it, you'll know, it'll be obvious
  • pgf
    Options
    I pressed my finger on it and a small piece came off, should I be worried?
  • BarBQBud
    BarBQBud Posts: 13
    Options
    I tried that dollar bill test and my dollar bill burned up. Ain't doing that again! :-)
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Options

20# copy paper cut in 3'rds works just as well and doesn't cost as much. Also, you wallet doesn't smell if you catch it before it flames out.

However, copy paper burns up a little faster and doesn't have as pretty of flames.

GG
  • Cruezn
    Cruezn Posts: 317
    Options
    Or just wait to test it until the egg isn't lit :woohoo:
  • Grandpas Grub
    Options

That is going to depend on how you use your egg. A lot of T-Rexing of steaks at gasket level or flash backs - not long.

When I first got my large I went through 3 or 4 gaskets in the first 2 months.

Some folks don't use gaskets at all.

After getting the adjustable rig/spider from the Cermaic Grill Store I haven't changed the gasket.

This is my large and it has now been over 2 years. If I get around to it I will change it out this summer sometime, maybe.

turbograte1.jpg

I do get a lot of smoke leakage between the dome and base but the food always tastes great.

If your dome/base are not aligned properly the gasket will wear in the exposed areas.

As suggested above do a dollar bill test - obviously without a fire going.

Rate the pull from 0 to 5. 0 being no resistance on the bill (or paper you are using) and 5 being the bill will tear. Ideally you want the same resistance equal all the way around the egg. I find the pull very seldom is equal.

If I have a 0 or 1 pull I try to adjust the bands. 1 is probably OK. 2 or more is just great.

If you have a visible gap or if the pull is 0 you should talk with your dealer and or BGE. You may need to take advantage of the warranty. Some eggs do have warps in the surface of the dome and or base.

GG
  • Grandpas Grub
    Options

You mean one can do a dollar bill test without the egg being lit!!!

:) GG
  • Grandpas Grub
    Options

Check all the way around the egg, not just the problem area.

GG