Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Slow Cook Temp

Options
volntitan
volntitan Posts: 95
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Started my first Slow and Low with 4 Bostons this morning around 6 AM for tomorrow. My "problem" is the temperature gauge on the Egg is reading differently than my digital thermometer. About 10-20 degrees differently when I left home this morning. I am really tired so could have easily misread the egg themometer. I know the egg is chocked full of meat right now, so much that the egg thermoter could actually be touching one of the roasts. Which reading should I go with? The Digital Thermometer is setting at a solid 235 degrees right now according to the wife.

Comments

• gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    The temperature varies throughout the dome, especially early on. The grill level is often considerably cooler from the presence of the meat, while the dome therm usually reads hotter. 10 - 20 degrees is not unusual. Also, yes, if the dome therm probe is touching, or almost touching the meat, it will give a cooler reading.

There is the chance that the dome therm is out of calibration.

Overall, don't too much about the temps. A very low temperature, say 220 at the grill will take forever, and get a little drier. Too high, say 270+, the bark may get a little burnt, and again, the meat may dry some. Anything in that range will work, and only effect the total time.
  • FearlessGrill
    FearlessGrill Posts: 695
    Options
    Where is the probe for your digital thermometer? If it's at the grill rather than in the dome, they will read 10-20 degrees off. Also, did you calibrate your dome thermometer recently? That could also be the issue. If you trust your digital thermometer, just go with it, and you'll be fine.

-John
  • volntitan
    Options
    I trust my digital to a point I guess. I actually have the probe laying on the top grill (using a 2 tier grill grate). I was going to put it thru the top vent, but thought it would be a better reading on the grate. Wife called and said the temp was down from 235 to 222. Should I be concerned that it has fallen? I had her open the vents slightly more.
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    I'd be inclined to tap the bottom vent open just a tiny bit, maybe 1/16". If that is not enough after 30 min., another tap. While the meat internal temperature may drop some as it reaches the plateau, I'd be surprised if that was sufficient to cool the ambient air more than 10 degrees.
  • volntitan
    Options
    Thanks. I call the wife and had her tap both vents open slightly and call if it has an effect. Should I move the digital probe or is it ok where it is?
  • FearlessGrill
    FearlessGrill Posts: 695
    Options
    Should be fine there. Don't play too much with the temp settings or you're likely to keep chasing it all day. Pick one vent or the other to adjust, and wait at least 30 minutes between adjustments to allow the temp to stabilize.

-John