Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Spatchcock Question

OttawaEgg
OttawaEgg Posts: 283
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hi fellow eggers!

Well, I have my new LBGE up at the lake - I'll be "breaking it in" with some ribs tomorrow.

Saturdy I want to do the spatchcock chicken thing - my first time. I've read tons of posts and I guess I'm a bit confused:

Direct or indirect?

What temperature?

Wood recommendations?

Thanks and cheers! :woohoo:

Comments

• civil eggineer
    civil eggineer Posts: 1,547
    I go indirect with a dry drip pan at dome temps of 400 until thigh reaches 180 degrees. Once done, I pull the platesetter, open the vents, and cook each chicken side ofr 1 minute max. The direct sear helps crisp up the skin but be carefull casue it will start burning pretty fast.
  • boston_stoker
    boston_stoker Posts: 794
    read this:
    http://www.nakedwhiz.com/spatch.htm

Direct, 350, i use apple (something mild). Breast should read 160, thigh 180.
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    Direct at 375 to 425 high in the dome and I do not turn it over. Skin side up and works fine.
    I like to mix cherry and pecan.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Lovenbrau
    Lovenbrau Posts: 307
    Direct at 350, skin side down for about 25 min then rib side down for about 30 min. Let it rest covered for 5-10 min. Apple wood works well.
  • Adding to the confusion ;). These days I do them raised direct at 400 or so. One hour give or take very little to get the breasts to 160 and the thighs over 170, works every time.

Doug
  • kmellecker
    kmellecker Posts: 332
    I do mine direct, either raised or not without significant difference, at 350 to 375, skin side up without turning. For wood I like either apple or cherry or a combination of both. Pull at the indicated temps and it will be drop dead delicious.
  • Chef Charles
    Chef Charles Posts: 871
    Tim,

My vote is for direct, raised grid at 400 dome. I usually use pecan. Spatchcock chicken is so easy and there are many ways to make it work -- that is why it makes it such a great cook :woohoo: .

Tom

Tom

Charles is a mischevious feline who always has something cooking

Twin lbge's .. grew up in the sun parlor of Canada but now egging in the nation's capital

• Mud Pig
    Mud Pig Posts: 489
    This one works perfectly, no need to get fancy. Go direct, stay between 350 to 400, cook high up in the dome. You'll be all set.
  • kilts
    kilts Posts: 30
    I do not like the flavour of burnt fat .
    I cook my spatchcock chicken indirect. 400 F
    Place setter feet up drip pan on 3 3/4 copper pipe elbows
    Chicken on top of grill & cook until I get the desired thermo pen reading.
    This method reduces the smoke flavour.
  • Trout Bum
    Trout Bum Posts: 343
    I like to do spatchcocked chicken as follows:

1) Start egg and warm to 375. I only use BGE lump.

2) Spatchcock chicken, rub with olive oil & sprinkle with salt & pepper to taste. Some like to use a rub but we like basting as per below.

3) Put chicken, skin up, on 375 egg on a raised grid and cook direct. I use a spare standard grid that I have used carriage bolts, washers and nuts as legs to raise it to the top of the bottom half of the egg.

4) After it has browned slightly, wait until the basting won't wash off the salt & pepper, start basting/mopping with Chiavetta's Barbacue Marinade. I use this extensively until the chicken is done. About 45 - 60 minutes to get 180 in the breast.

Do NOT turn the chicken over.

Happy Egging,

Trout Bum
  • Woody69
    Woody69 Posts: 360
    I have always done them direct, with a raised grid. 350-375°. Usually takes around an hour.

I just did one the other day:

http://www.eggheadforum.com/index.php?option=com_simpleboard&func=view&id=889700&catid=1

I'm sure that however you wind up doing it, you won't be disappointed.

:):)
  • EGGARY
    EGGARY Posts: 1,222
    I have done Spatchcock Chickens both ways, direct and indirect. I usually do them at 325. If I am doing direct, then I raise the grid. When I do indirect, I do it 2 ways. One way is when the grid is on the Plate Setter. The other way, it I put a drip pan with potatoes, cut up and pre-baked in the microwave oven. I put olive oil and S & P on the potatoes as well. The Drip pan would go on the grid that is on the plate setter and then I put the chicken on a raised grid. As the chicken cooks the juices from the chicken goes on the potatoes. As I am writing this my mouth is watering. Oh, I forgot, you can also add cloves of garlic when pre-cooking the potatoes and then put them with the potatoes as well. Also can do veggies the same way in the drip pan.