Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Brisket Anxious

Options
Clavin
Clavin Posts: 91
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
First Brisket.

9 lb whole

On at 6 a.m., its now 6 pm.

Egg bouncing around 220-240 for the whole cook

No Foil

At 5 1/2 hrs, temp was 154.

At 12 hrs, temp is 175.

Hoped it would be done by now. Having never done this before, I don't know the feel test well enough to gauge its doneness, so I was hoping to go to 190 or so to be sure.

I know every brisket is different, but a houseful of relatives ready to eat and I am ready to drive to Sonic for burgers.

Does this thing have a lot longer to go based on your collective judgemnent?

And what does one do with a whole brisket if it is ready and no one is around to eat it?

Comments

• Crimsongator
    Crimsongator Posts: 5,797
    Options
    Your temp is low enough (especially at 220) that you will raise your cook time past the 1.5hr/lb rule. I don't know what size egg you have but the dome temp will be about 15-20* higher than the temp on the grid.

You can foil the brisket and pull it around 200*
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    Umm, yeah, to get a good result the brisket needs more time, I don't think it is out of the plateau. Its probably edible, and very tasty, but still tough. You might try cranking up your stove, and place it in a roaster with some fluid and braise it. Run the temperature in the stove up high so the braising fluid is really bubbling, and put the brisket in, Turn down the temperature some, so the juices don't burn. Stall for awhile, and hope the brisket comes up to 190 or so. Sliced braised brisket is really pretty good.

Alternatively, slice really really thin, and steam for a few minute in the 'wave for tender shavings.
  • Clavin
    Options
    I appreciate the advice.

But the wife is heading for Sonic with a hamburger order :blush:

I did put it in foil and ramped up the temp to 250.

Which begs the question. When this slab of beef is done, after everyone has said their goodbyes, what the heck should I do wid it?

Can I leave it in the foil, refrigerate, and re-heat it tomorrow or the next day?

Should have tried this without the pressure of feeding relatives. :pinch:
  • Bacchus
    Bacchus Posts: 6,019
    Options
    Lessons Learned: Cook at 250dome, and always start early....way early. they will hold warm in a cooler for hours if needed.

I store cooked brisket whole, slice and warm in a skillet with a touch of beef broth.
  • AzScott
    AzScott Posts: 309
    Options
    I've been cooking mine direct as high in the dome as I can until it gets the color I want then I foil and put it back on with the plate setter in place. The last temp I did was 290 and it was done in 5 hours or so but I also had trimmed it really well. I've had great success at higher temps and don't worry about odd timing or overnight cooks anymore. Foil is your friend after it's had sufficient smoke.
  • Clavin
    Options
    Took it off

Left it in its foil, put it in the refrigerator overnight.

Scavenged the drippings, separated the fat and poured it on this morning. Stuck it in the oven for 3 hours, took it out, rested for about 30 minutes. Sliced and served.

Verdict: pure awesome. B)