Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

geeez - talk about a turbo butt!!!

Options
RRP
RRP Posts: 25,888
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
long story - but here I sit with a turbo butt already at 137 only 3 hours into an overnighter! Crap, double crap and TRIPLE CRAP! I even wonder if my BBQ Guru has gone nuts!
Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.

Comments

• RRP
    Options
    Even my Thermapen has confirmed that the temp the Guru says as well as the back up Thermoworks thermometer and my Tel-Tru dome thermometer - WHAT is this butt? a hog killed at a drag race?
  • RRP
    Options
    now 162!
  • Spring Chicken
    Spring Chicken Posts: 10,255
    Options
    You're good. Maybe it was in 'high gear' (always wanted to say "Get your butt in high gear")

Don't worry, it just reached 'plateau' and will percolate for a few hours before taking off again. Get some sleep.

Spring "Turbo Plumbing Checker" Chicken
    Spring Texas USA
  • RRP
    Options
    now 165 so I guess it finally hit the wall...but I didn't plan to pull it until 7:30 tonight for class! Guess it's off to the store for another at day break! That better be the other leg of that speed demon!
  • 2Fategghead
    2Fategghead Posts: 9,624
    Options
    Hey get yer butt outta gear. :ermm:
  • Ripnem
    Ripnem Posts: 5,511
    Options
    Ron,

Perfect example for class.... You just never know what your going to get. Now you could do one at a higher temp and do a taste test.
  • NC-CDN
    NC-CDN Posts: 703
    Options
    If ever I feel it has gone a bit quick and need to slow things down I just turn down the temp controller. Sometimes I need to do it quicker and turn it up. Butts always turn out good.
  • RRP
    Options
    actually I shut the guru off at 4:15 our time this morning - by 8 AM the butt was 173 and the dome was 210. I turned it back on then and set for 225 - right now the butt has reached 188, but the ramp mode has kicked on so I hope I can coast for a while yet to 200 later this afternoon.
  • 2Fategghead
    Options
    What do you think. Three more hours with ramp mode on? Tim
  • RRP
    Options
    That's what I am hoping for then foil it, wrap in towels and into a tightly sealed small cooler. It was worked for me before and has stayed nice and hot for 4 hours that way. Just hoping the BBQ gods are smiling :) at me today considering one must have been angry :evil: during the night!
  • Spring Chicken
    Spring Chicken Posts: 10,255
    Options
    Unless it's a small butt you can probably go 5 hours in the cooler. I've actually had two 8-pounders double-wrapped in foil and heavy towels in my cooler for 6 hours and it was still so hot I could hardly pull it even wearing gloves.

My last brisket flat was cooking too fast so I just slowed the Guru down to 200° and let it perkolate. I figure I extended the cook time by two to three hours doing it that way.

Spring "Slow Down, You Cook Too Fast" Chicken
  • 2Fategghead
    Options
    I cooked an 8 lb butt the other day and it went 16 hours with the ramp mode on and when I checked it with the thermapen I found a muscle group that was still 190° and the rest was 205°. Well I pulled it and double wrapped in hdaf and towels and socked it in a cooler and gave it to my neighbor. She paid for it and I smoked it for her. Now I want to ask you would you have left it in the egg longer? Tim :)
  • 2Fategghead
    Options
    Here is a pic of it.

000_1957.jpg
  • RRP
    Options
    I probably would have done the same as you!
  • toothpick
    toothpick Posts: 154
    Options
    I'm relatively new at this, so perhaps this was a bad move food-safety wise, but it all seemed to turn out ok.

I had a butt on Saturday night that cooked too quickly. After wrapping it in foil and towels I stuck it in a cooler for 4 hours. Next I put it in the oven still wrapped in foil for 5 hours at 180f and finally pulled it for supper. It all turned out great.
  • PhilsGrill
    PhilsGrill Posts: 2,256
    Options
    Should be ready about 11 tonight! Yum, yum!!!