Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Ribs

Options
Luder
Luder Posts: 31
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I made some ribs this weekend according to some recipes that I found on the forum. Was planning on doing the 3-1-1 method or something similar. After cooking the baby backs indirect for 3 hours at 260 they looked nearly done, and I was afraid to wrap them, so I skipped the 1 hr wrapped in foil and drilled direct for @ 30 minutes. They were very good and were still done, but I am confused. Should I have still wrapped them or did I do the right thing? Any advice for future ribs?[p]Thanks in advance,
Luder

Comments

• Luder
    Luder Posts: 31
    Options
    Forgot to mention that I used a platesetter and the guru, so I am certain that the temperature was not an issue.

• JSlot
    JSlot Posts: 1,218
    Options
    Were they good? If they were, what difference does it make? Wrapping probably wouldn't have hurt anything as long as you didn't steam them off the bone completely. Remember, good eats is good eats no matter what method you use!! :)[p]Jim
  • egghead2004
    egghead2004 Posts: 430
    Options
    JSlot,
    Is that why you wrap in foil? to steam the ribs so the flesh almost falls off the bone?[p]

• JSlot
    JSlot Posts: 1,218
    Options
    The purpose of wrapping is to tenderize the ribs. It can be accomplished without wrapping, but it takes a while longer. For the record, I never wrap my ribs when cooking at home.[p]Jim
  • James
    James Posts: 232
    Options
    Luder,[p]
    You should have wrapped them in my opinion. I've done them both ways. The short time wrapped in foil really makes them tender. I usually pour some beer or other liquid in for the wrapping..[p]