Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Question

Options
Big George's BBQ
Big George's BBQ Posts: 1,152
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I recently did a high heat burn to get rid of some mildew and did so with success. Runined the Gasket on one side when I had to loosen the top with a puddy knife. Recently cooked some steakes. Did a high hear sear at 675, and then cooked at 400 dome temp with grate below gasket line. My question is that I could not get the grill to shut down with the vent closed and the ceramic top on. The next day it was around 150 degrees. Is this because part of the gasket was ruined. I really do not want to have to replace the gasket but if I have to to shut down the grill I will Thanks for the help

Comments

• Matt
    Matt Posts: 143
    Options
    Hard to know without actually seeing what remains of your gasket. I really put off doing the gasket job, too, but when I did it, it was actually pretty simple and quick. I put a Nomex on my large in a little over an hour. I think the trick is to spray the contact adhesive into a cup and then brush it onto the necessary surfaces -- very fast, no cleanup.
  • AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    Options
    The first thing I would do is check the calibration on your thermometer, you may have been cooking at a much higher temp than you thought. I wouldn't think that a burned gasket would leak enough to prevent putting the fire out. -RP
  • mnwalleye
    mnwalleye Posts: 226
    Options
    Did you remove the gasket off the top and bottom? I cooked a long time with no gasket and never had any issues.
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    Randy,

I don't have gaskets or use the ceramic top and I can still snuff the fire. Maybe not as quick but it goes out.

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• FearlessGrill
    FearlessGrill Posts: 695
    Options
    I agree that the gasket shouldn't be letting in enough air to prevent shutting down the fire, but I guess it could depending on how tight the dome and base are aligned.

Another issue might be because your gasket only failed in one spot. If it's completely gone there, and still full thickness everywhere else, it could be letting in a decent amount of air. Try filling that gap with some tin foil next time you shut down your Egg, and see if it helps. Then you'll know if that's your issue before replacing the gasket.

-John
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Options

You can use the egg with or without gaskets as many have talked about.

If you have heat you have lump available then you have oxygen getting to the lump. Think about your bottom vent setting at a 300° cook. Probably open about 1/16" thereabouts.

If you have partial gaskets then there would be some air passage through the dome and base, that may be enough to keep the lump burning. The dome could very well be completely shut as long as there is air flow in and out of the lump stack.

Remove the gaskets completely or put the gaskets on. Whatever you decide do the dollar bill test to make sure you have no gaps. If you egg is new there is a possibility there may be a warp in the base or dome which will require gaskets if the warp isn't too bad. If it is a big warp you will need to see about warranty to correct that problem.

GG
  • Rolling Egg
    Rolling Egg Posts: 1,995
    Options
    Yes it is because the gasket is gone. Your feeding the lump air right through the crack between the dome and base. I had the exact same thing happen to me my friend. I cooked on mine without a gasket for a few months with no issues. Last week I cooked some pizzas on mine at 500 degrees.I shut it down and figured I would go back outside in the morning and throw my cover on. Went outside and it was cruising along at 220. I went that day and got my replacement and put it on. I figure I could have adjusted my dome as grubb has stated to be tight without gaskets but I figured I might as well just throw one on. Good luck.
  • Big George's BBQ
    Big George's BBQ Posts: 1,152
    Options
    Thanks everyone. I will use it some more and look into replacing the gasket- will probably do the nomex. Rutland would probably not be a good idea as I am not what one would call as handy