Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

DC eggers

Poodlemom
Poodlemom Posts: 85
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
We are planning a trip to Williamsburg, VA and DC. Any ideas on logding in either area? Food places not to miss? Stay in DC or surrounding area? Any help or thoughts will be appreciated greatly!!!

Comments

• AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    In DC get a hotel near a Metro entrance and you won't have to drive anywhere. -RP
  • Poodlemom
    Do you have any recommendations? Maybe a hotel you stay at and really liked the location? Been looking online and really confused myself. Did Kim get back to AZ before the cold snap in KY? Temp is down to 60 in KY today - burrrrrr.
  • WessB
    WessB Posts: 6,937
    Contact Mad Max....he's the forum tour guide for DC... :)
  • AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    Yeah she got back Saturday, been too many years since we were there to remember but the Metro was awesome. We went everywhere on it. If you are flying in you can even take it from the airport to your hotel. -RP
  • If you like staying in four star hotels I would suggest you use priceline. I have stayed at many beautiful hotels that way. If you simply google "priceline permutation method" you will get some hits how to great deals at some awesome centrally located hotels.

Really, it's the only way to travel (well, stay at places you travel). Also, once you get the hotel reservation it will usually let you book crazy cheap rental cars.

Best of luck!
  • Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    I've been in the DC area most of my life, and have a few ideas...even though I don't stay at hotels or eat out much. Like Wess sez, Max is the man. You can probably find some of his suggestions in the archives....or maybe if you call the Mad Max hotline number posted before Thanksgiving, you can talk to him in person.

Here is what I know...If you are looking for food and lodging while you tour DC, consider staying in the Arlington VA/Ballston/Rosslyn area. Very convenient to Metro, and totally loaded with good restaurants. If you like different ethnic foods, Arlington is THE spot in the entire DC area. And my guess is hotels are cheaper than downtown DC. Peking Gourmet (on rt 7) is the best Chinese food I have eaten. Ever. There are dozens of totally amazing Vietnamese restaurants, and Indian, and Ethiopian, and Thai etc.

Enjoy your trip!
    Chris
    DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • nature boy is sure right about the peking gourmet. ...but be warned, its also the most expense chinese restaurant around. . .if you have duck (and you HAVE to have the duck there!!) it will run you about 40 bucks per head there to eat dinner when all is said and done. . . but definitely well worth it. ..

in williamsburg, there are a thousand places to stay. ...if you are looking to stay cheap, you can usually get good deals at places like the best westerns, etc. ... as far as eating, you should at least eat one of your meals at one of the places inside in the historic town itself like the kings tavern. .. just a short walk outside the old town though, you might want to try the 'trellis restaurant'. .. .i haven't been there in years, but i assume its still there. ...kinda pricey, but their claim to fame was that it was the home to "death by chocolate", one of the most famous deserts ever!!

like chris said. . .lots of great food in the arlington, along the ballston/clarendon corridor (which is also on the metro orange line corridor. . .there are also plenty of hotels along that corridor these days. ...probably not the cheapest places in town, but i know there are everything from holiday inns to the westin, and there are some motor hotels as well. .. .look for places on wilson blvd, and/or clarrendon blvd and close to ballston, clarrendon, virginia square, courthouse, or even the rosslyn metro stations. ....plenty of bars, restaurants of all kinds in that area. ...and easy access to downtown dc and the museums and everything else. ... .
  • rockytopsc
    rockytopsc Posts: 856
    We went to DC about two weeks ago and tried the Max tip about Luigi's (sp?) Pizza. Was very good and glad we tried it out!
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    Got to ask: What kind of Poodle?
    We have a black standard and the same eggs as you do.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Similar to Arlington, there is also Bethesda, MD. It has a metro stop and plenty of restaurants/bars all within walking distance. 15 mins down Wisconsin Ave and you're in the city. Pricing is comparable to Arlington.

http://maps.google.com/maps?um=1&ie=UTF-8&q=bethesda+hotels&fb=1&gl=us&hq=hotels&hnear=bethesda&ei=tTHzS4b2HojK9gSt3ZzNDw&sa=X&oi=local_group&ct=image&resnum=1&ved=0CDYQtgMwAA
  • hey, glad it was still good!!> ..i haven't been there in a few years... .but any restaurant that's hung in there for 40+ years now must have something going for it!!. ..when i was in high school, we "owned" the upstairs dining room in that place on friday nights in the fall!!! . ..
  • ResQue
    ResQue Posts: 1,045
    What do you think about the national harbor?
  • Sundazes
    Sundazes Posts: 307
    You don't want to stay downtown unless you want to spend BIG bucks. Hotel rooms in safe areas run from 200-300 a night. Priceline might be of help.

The only other advice is check for events happening in the city. Some of them WILL choke the traffic and metro.
  • national harbor is a really cool new place. ...but the restaurants are few, and there is no easy way to get downtown from there. ...its very isolated very everything else...
  • ResQue
    I have never been there myself, even though it is only 20 minutes away. I have friends that go there and say great things about it. I wouldn't think it would too hard to get into D.C. from there, no more difficult than say, Alexandria.
  • Sundazes wrote:
    You don't want to stay downtown unless you want to spend BIG bucks. Hotel rooms in safe areas run from 200-300 a night. Priceline might be of help.

The only other advice is check for events happening in the city. Some of them WILL choke the traffic and metro.

To follow up on my priceline suggested, I see someone on another forum I belong to got The liason Capital Hill May 15 2010: $52/night + $15 tax.

pretty cheap for a nice hotel. Parking is insane but there are options if you look into them.
  • CBBQ
    CBBQ Posts: 610
    We just spent a week there and here are my recommendations with some help from forum members. We stayed at the Liason which was over-priced but only 2 blocks from the Capitol and Union Station. The only cab we took was to Georgetown which was great, and not far from Arlington. It's very close to all of the International Embassy's along with George Washington and Georgetown Universities. Very cultural and diverse.
    A highly recommended and one of the best pizza's we ever ate was at Matchbox. There's one in Chinatown and on 8th. A Mexican place that specialized in small plates was Oyamel. Excellent! They sell every item ala-cart so you can build your own meal. But get a reservation. A great brew-pub recommended by Jeffersonian was Gordon Biersch on F St. It was the only place we ate twice. B. Smith's in Union Station which has Southern/Soul food was outstanding and had a lot of politicians hanging out in it.
  • its not hard by car. .. .but there is not metro close by, unlike alexandria where metro is an easy walk.. . .and its kind of a pain to get into by car off of 295 or off of the wilson bridge and the beltway if there is a backup....
  • b smith's is a great choice. . .they have a great sunday brunch there.. . don't know if you got the 'history' of that room or not. ..but in the days before air force one, that was the president's waiting room when the president traveled by rail. ...
  • other things you want to see, are the usual smithsonians, go to their site. . .do you have kids??? figure out what you want to see with them. .. both the natural history and the american history museums have recently been completely redone in the last couple of years and both are excellent. ... as well as air and space (both the one downtown, and the huge one out by dulles airport. .. .zoo is always a good visit, and so is arlington national cemetary... go see the memorials at night (vietnam, WWII, jefferson, lincoln, the new airforce which is very cool)...they are all best seen at night, and perfectly safe. .. .if you want a white house or capitol tour, call your congressman's office in advance and make arrangements through their offices. ...

oh, and on the drive up from williamsburg, stop at the quantico exit and visit the marine corp museum. ... its very very impressive!!!

any specific questions feel free to email me at max@mitre.org
  • Poodlemom
    Nikit was a 6lb chocolate teacup poodle. We miss him sooo much, he was 12 when we had him put to sleep in January. He was my little babydoll. We are dogless for the first time in 19 years. Not sure if we will get another one or not.
  • Poodlemom
    Thanks everyone - lots of great information. Wess is right Max - you truely are the DC tour guide of the forum.
  • ResQue
    Yes, very true. Didn't even think about the metro.
  • lisa, let me know when you are coming. ...do you have kids? how old? .. ..
  • Lee
    Lee Posts: 3
    hello,

wow! that was really exciting! when is your plan to visit? uhm.. b smith is a great place.

thanks,
    voucher codes
    discount vouchers
  • Poodlemom
    Max, right now we are looking at the last week in June. No children, but traveling with one BGE addicted man who sometimes qualifies as a child.
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    In (near, actually) Williamsburg, there's a pretty good barbecue joint called Pierce's Pitt Barbecue. Right off of I-64. If you're in the neighborhood and in the mood for some decent Q, you might check it out.

http://www.pierces.com/directions.asp

Assuming you are driving between DC and Williamsburg, you will pass through Fredericksburg VA, about 50 miles south of DC. For barbecue, try Allman's. For dessert, Carl's Frozen Custard. Both are local legends - actually, not just local. You will regret neither. Links to both in my post in the thread linked below.

Here's a similar post from a couple of months ago...

http://www.eggheadforum.com/index.php?option=com_simpleboard&Itemid=55&func=view&catid=1&id=845720

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Hatch
    Hatch Posts: 149
    Many a president stops by this DC landmark...