Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Experienced tailgaters HELP! Please

Options
WokOnMedium
WokOnMedium Posts: 1,376
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I took the mini tailgating a couple weeks ago. A friend plays Defensive End for the Iowa State Cyclones and they had their Spring scrimmage.

I spent the entire game worried about someone walking by, thinking the mini was sooooo cute, and walking off with it.

I would appreciated some suggestions on how to work the whole tailgating thing so I feel like my mini is safe while its cooling off and I'm in the stadium.

Comments

• AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    Options
    You could put a bicycle lock through the handle and lock it to the vehicle. -RP
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Options
    I empty the coals and leave the egg open as long as I can to cool as much as possible before I enter the stadium.

If it is reasonably cool (cool enough to handle) I'll put it in the bed of my truck, if not I'll leave it behind the truck.

I run a chain down through the dome vent and out the lower vent door, loop it through the handle, and then padlock it to either my trailer hitch or the tie-down cleats in the truck.
  • RVH
    RVH Posts: 523
    Options
    Pacsafe sells stainless steel mesh bags that are intended for use in securing backpacks at terminals. They work very well. They will completely envelope the BGE product, cinch closed, and lock through any part of your vehicle.
  • walrusegger
    walrusegger Posts: 314
    Options
    I tailgate with the square red and black charcoal grill from Home Depot at all home Redskins games. I empty the charcoal out of it to cool down an bit and then put it on a furniture pad I've got in the back of my SUV. Maybe you could bring something like a dutch oven with lid to put the lump in when you're done with your cook, let the egg start to cool and put it in your vehicle on the feet (do the minis come with feet) on a furniture pad. I wish I had a way to easily bring my large BGE to the tailgate.
  • walrusegger
    Options
    I tailgate with the square red and black charcoal grill from Home Depot at all home Redskins games. I empty the charcoal out of it to cool down an bit and then put it on a furniture pad I've got in the back of my SUV. Maybe you could bring something like a dutch oven with lid to put the lump in when you're done with your cook, let the egg start to cool and put it in your vehicle on the feet (do the minis come with feet) on a furniture pad. I wish I had a way to easily bring my large BGE to the tailgate.
  • walrusegger
    Options
  • walrusegger
    Options
    Whoa, not sure how I accidentally posted this three times, my apologies...I'll take the FNG excuse as I'm a new egger and very new to the forum!
  • Capt Frank
    Capt Frank Posts: 2,578
    Options
    Happens to all of us :laugh: Sometimes when you hit "submit" nothing seems to happen, sooo, you hit it again :P ,and there you are :lol:

Capt Frank
    Homosassa, FL
  • NC-CDN
    NC-CDN Posts: 703
    Options
    I like the idea of emptying the coals and running a chain through it and out the vent. Mine doesn't have a screen on the vent so that would be pretty easy. THen attach it to your vehicle. Most people don't bring a "bid red key" to a game to cut chain. LOL. Also drape something overtop of it. Too tempting for someone.
  • boston_stoker
    boston_stoker Posts: 794
    Options
    FYI, this happens a lot when you click the back button after you submit a post.