Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Paella

PWise
PWise Posts: 1,173
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Went to a benefit paella competition on saturday. It was a great time... you can see the photos here.

Cheers!
pw

Comments

• Helfy
    Helfy Posts: 13
    Oh niiiice. I love paella! That looks like a great time, thanks for the pics!
  • PWise
    I was gonna take the egg to the venue but couldn't find a truck... had to use the gas paella burner.

cheers!
  • Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    Must be a paella weekend. I did one last night on my large BGE and from your pictures was wondering if most of the ingredients were precooked and added at the end or in the middle of the cook? Would post a pic but photobucket is not cooperating today.
  • Beli
    Beli Posts: 10,751
    Congratulations Pato, looks like a very tasty paella and you are helping a good cause too.
  • vohsmk
    vohsmk Posts: 40
    How about some paella recipes? I just got a 14" paella pan as a gift from a friend and now interested in using it. If you could share some of your recipes that would be wonderful. B)
  • Susan Egglaine
    Susan Egglaine Posts: 2,437
    Thanks for posting :) always enjoy your fabulous pics ;)
  • JCO
    JCO Posts: 49
    Here is my recipe for Paella. I've used it many times and it always turns out great.

http://www.eggheadforum.com/index.php?option=com_simpleboard&func=view&id=862805&catid=1
  • Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    There are so many variations. Here is one I do every few months with variations, last night being the latest. Photobucket will not let me in so will provide what I have.

http://www.eggheadforum.com/index.php?option=com_simpleboard&func=view&id=715388&catid=1

Rice, Paella, Richard Fl.

I have been cooking this dish and variations for over 20 years, but this is the first time on the BGE. Will do more for sure. This was prompted by the BGE Aug '09 throwdown where the ingredients were scallops, pistachios, cumin and rice. Like to use chicken drumettes also.

INGREDIENTS:
    Step 1
    3 3 1/2 Ozs Pkg Spanish Chorizo, Sliced thin on diagonal
    1 Large Onion, Diced or Sliced thin then in half, your choice
    4-5 Ozs Pickled hot red peppers, diced medium, Peppadew style
    1 Tsp Cumin
    4 Ozs Pistachios
    1-2 Tbs Spanish Saffron
    Olive oil to sauté
    Step 2
    2 Cups Aborio/Valencia rice
    Step 3
    10 Ozs Can Clam Juice
    8 Ozs White Wine, Chardonnay
    22 Ozs Chicken Stock
    Step 4
    6-8 Ozs Frozen Green Peas
    6-8 Ozs Conch, Pounded to tenderize and then sliced into thin 2 inch pieces
    Quartered artichoke hearts, pickled (optional)
    Step 5
    Red Bell Pepper, Top for center, Slices layed on top
    12-15 Pieces Fresh Asparagus
    Step 6
    12-15 Fresh Little Neck Clams
    12-15 Fresh Mussels, regular or New Zealand Green Lips
    12-15 Shrimp, 16-20 count, may be peeled or not
    8-10 Shrimp, 16-20 count, Heads on for presentation, use bamboo skewers to keep from curling.
    Equiptment:
    16 Inch Paella Pan

Procedure:
    Step 1
    1 Bring BGE up to 350°F and using a spider in high position, placed the paella pan on spider and poured in 2-3 ozs EVOO to sauté onion and chorizo. Little cherry wood chips for flavor.
    Step 2
    1 After the onions are translucent add the rice and get coated with oil and drippings from chorizo.
    Step 3
    1 Add liquid and saffron and bring to a boil.
    Step 4
    1 Add peas and conch.
    Step 5
    1 After 15 minutes cooking, add the asparagus and bell pepper.
    Step 6
    1 20-22 minutes of cooking add the seafood, turning the mussels and clams so when they open the hinge is at the bottom for presentation. When the seafood is done about 10-12 minutes and the liquid is gone, remove and let rest for 10-15 minutes. If the liquid is not gone and the shrimp are done, remove them.
    Step 7
    1 Enjoy, Served with some Sterling Chardonnay.

Recipe Type
    Main Dish, Seafood

Recipe Source
    Source: BGE Forum, Richard Fl, 2009/08/27
  • PWise
    Here is the link to the recipe I did on saturday, I just wrote it up with an intro beforehand.. it's in spanish but you can easily translate it with the widget on the top right hand size.

Pato's paella

Cheers!
  • eenie meenie
    eenie meenie Posts: 4,394
    Pato, the paella looks fabulous :) .......and I thought my 18" daimeter pan on the XLG was big. Now I see a gigantic size.