Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

cast iron skillets???

Austin Egger
Austin Egger Posts: 256
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I have a large egg and would like to purchase some cast iron skillets so that I can eggsperiment. Are there any differences between quality from one to another? Is it best to get a rougher cooking surface, smooth or channeled? Are there any typical sizes that work best, or does it obiously depend on what you are cooking? Do you ideally look for them with handles or with out due to the size of the egg? Any help is always appreciated!!! :)

Comments

• misfit
    misfit Posts: 358
    All of my CI is Lodge. Made in USA, quality stuff.
  • 'Q Bruddah
    'Q Bruddah Posts: 739
    Ditto. Lodge is quality cookware. A rougher surface will eventually render a strong bond for seasoning so a smooth surface isn't necessarily desirable. Thrift stores may yield significant bargains on already seasoned skillets. Consider removing a handle for a better fit.
  • vidalia1
    vidalia1 Posts: 7,092
    I have Lodge CI skillets for my large, small & mini. I cut all 3 handles with my sawz-all. You will love them.
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Lots of folks like Lodge. Maybe because you can find it everywhere. I don't care for the rough casting myself. I figure the old timers knew what they were doing, so I buy antique CI. Griswold or Wagner Ware for me. Easy enough to find - around here anyway. Picked up a #7 and #3 couple of weeks ago for $18 and $10. Haven't cleaned 'em up yet.

4552153975_64ab256d0b_b.jpg

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Austin Egger
    Austin Egger Posts: 256
    Any idea where I can buy the Lodge brand at? Are there any large chain stores that carry them to your knowledge? I am in Austin, TX so I have a good number around. Thanks again!!! :)
  • thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    DSC08119a.jpg

Sure, like anything there is a range of quality. I have mostly vintage CI pans and griddles from Griswold, which were made in Erie PA. You can find them on eBay and they are very easy to restore and re-season. Sizes 3 (shown above) and 5 are good for cooking on your Egg. (The 4's are rare and very expensive) I prefer the griddles with bails instead of handles. This one is a #5

DSC09364a.jpg

My next choice is Lodge, I have a reversible griddle, some loaf pans, a dutch oven and a new shallow CI pan from them. They now have a pre-seasoned option. Lodge is made in the USA also.

The reversible is smooth on one side and ribbed on the other, so you get more bang for your buck.

DSC04896gg.jpg

DSC07546a.jpg

Here is my newest Lodge shallow pan. I like the rectangular shape and the short end handles.

DSC00034a.jpg
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • misfit
    misfit Posts: 358
    Also have a look at their pizza/roasting pan, 14". Talk about a nice big griddle...
  • thirdeye
    Collage1copy.jpg

You most likely have restoring instructions, but for the benefit of others, Google "The Pan Man", he is the Griswold expert and has excellent tips for cleaning and seasoning. I use the oven cleaner and plastic bag method.

Say, Michael.... how does the #7 fit on a Large Egg?
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

• Carolina Q
    Saw a Griswold #2 the other day. $270!!!!!!!!! Same store where I bought the #3 for $10. And mine's bigger! :lol: I imagine they still have it - I know I don't!

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Bacchus
    Bacchus Posts: 6,019
    I like Lodge as well. Walmart carries Lodge, and if they dont have it on the shelf, you can order it online and "ship to store" at no charge.
    Im a proponent of leaving the handles on rather than sawing off. I use mine indoors as much or more than on the Eggs. A 12" will fit on a Large Egg with handle intact.
  • thirdeye
    DSC09016a.jpg

$270 is way too steep for me..... Try to look for a Griswold Egg skillet, they are neat for fried egg sandwiches and can do about anything a #2 can.

DSC09024a.jpg
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

• Carolina Q
    14 5/8" (including handle) x 9 7/8" diameter (10 1/2" diameter where the pour spouts are). Tried to take a pic, but the battery's dead. :blush: Looks like you could almost fit two of them in a large... but not quite.

As for David Smith (Pan Man), he seems like a good guy and has been helpful to me. I've emailed him several times and have always gotten the info I needed.

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• That came out really good Im going to have to check out that website.
    Thanks
  • i just saw a website that said they sold Griswold #2 Skillet with Smoke Ring for $347 on Ebay!!!
  • Cpt'n Cook
    Cpt'n Cook Posts: 1,917
    I like Griswald. The best place I have found to get them is at flee markets.
  • Mainegg
    Mainegg Posts: 7,787
    if you have any flea markets near you check them out or yard sales. also see if your local dump has a recycling center. Ours in Fl does and I have picked up a few there for .50 to 5.00 depending. as I get two of a size I cut the handle of one so I can fit it on the egg better. Love my cast iron and use that more than anything. have a lot of vintage Le Creuset too but like the cast better.
  • the older cast iron pans are preferred. they were almost always ground mirror flat, and the ones i have are a better non-stick surface than supposedly "non-stick" teflon pans.

the cheap new cast iron pans these days are often not ground at all, and still show the sand-cast surface, or they are given a cursory grinding, but still have circular grooves left from the operation.

scout eBay or even yard sales if you have time.

my wagner ware cast-iron was my great grandmother's, and it is treated like a holy relic. no soup, no nuthin. just hot water and a scour-sponge.

castiron.jpg

check the sheen on the bottom of that pan. yeah, there's oil in there, but that is a mirror-flat surface. that am an sexy pan! it's a small one. i have a larger pair also. beautiful stuff, that old cast iron. wagner ware is common. count yourself lucky if you find a griswold.

here's an elk steak getting a sear.

elksteakcastiron.jpg

some scallops of three different recipes

searing.jpg

pan-seared tenderloin roast

pansear.jpg

reheating a rib-roast

Xreheated_xmas_roast.jpg

and some duck, pressed
    Xduck_searing.jpg

...big fan of the pan
  • Davekatz
    Davekatz Posts: 763
    Really like that griddle with a bail. I'll have to keep an eye out for one of those.

I have a Griswold dutch oven that I saved from a life as a flower pot. I love it.
    Food & Fire - The carnivorous ramblings of a gluten-free grill geek.
  • thirdeye
    I think they mean a heat ring. It's a raised ring on the bottom of the skillet.
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

• Bacchus
    Bacchus Posts: 6,019
    Nice pans there for sure stike. The scallops look wonderful.
  • Rascal
    Rascal Posts: 3,923
    I've got a Lodge skillet that dates back for many decades. Despite its appearance, a little touch-up will have it looking like new. Sorry, it's not for sale.

LodgePan.jpg
  • 'Q Bruddah
    'Q Bruddah Posts: 739
    please post pics of the retored pan
  • Rascal
    Rascal Posts: 3,923
    "retored"? Let me know if you are seriously interested...
  • thebtls
    thebtls Posts: 2,300
    Visit my blog, dedicated to my Big Green Egg Recipies at http://www.bigtsbge.blogspot.com You can also follow my posts on FaceBook under the name Keep On Eggin' or the link http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Keep-On-Eggin/198049930216241