Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Back from Harpoon!

Nature Boy
Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Howdy all. Just rolled into home a few minutes ago after a 542 mile trip. Nabbed a quick (and much needed) shower, and am moments away from laying me weary haid on my pillow.[p]But first I wanted to shout out a LARGE congrats to Brett and the Free Range team, who really put in some hard work and it paid off bigtime in this tough contest in a strange land! Dang. That is 34 good teams who would love to trade places with you! Nice work yall!! It was a pleasure to see you all get those much deserved awards, and an an extremely impressive overall finish....and the look on your, Hillard, and Allison's faces (especially yours), was a joy to behold!![p]A few highlights for us[p]- Being on TV (Channel 31)! Being one of the far travelling teams, they interviewed me about my thoughts on the contest. It was real short, but fun! Even slipped iin a mention about the Big Green Eggs...but couldn't find the right time for a dizzy pig plug. LOL. Was pretty cool talking to some folks on Saturday who saw me on TV Friday. A first for me.[p]- Getting pretty good scores on our "ribs" presentation after setting up the entire box with the number on the bottom (we missed you Woo), and noticing it with 2 minutes left before the turn-in deadline. The entire presentation (that took 10 minutes to assemble) was disassembled and slapped in another box and turned in with 10 seconds to spare.[p]- The people, the Harpoon staff, the perfect weather after the rain on friday, our neighbors (Free Range, Back 40 (QSis), I Smell Smoke (YankeeBBQ), Seasbrisket), and team mates QFan and his buddy Bryan.[p]- Mike Little (a fellow egger who came to visit and help out)....he took his offer to help very seriously, and handled all the constant Egg questions from the crowd, as well as selling rub and tee shirts for us. Watching him was a joy to behold. A true artist with people. Thanks Mike and Jim. Was great meeting yall[p]- The 8th place brisket[p]
The Low Lights...only one really.
- Our 32nd place chicken. Ouch![p]Lots more, but I can't hold my eyes open anymore.
What a weekend.
Chris[p]PS: I talked to drbbq today, and heard he got a 3rd place brisket in Nebraska....congrats Ray.[p]Wonder how Appledoggy did?

DizzyPigBBQ.com
Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ

Comments

• Brett
    Brett Posts: 56
    Nature Boy, Thanks bud, it was big fun for all of us. Daughter Allison had a blast and wants to come with us again next year. [p]You should see if you can get a tape of the piece they aired on TV for your team "portfolio." Also, I would like to see it. [p]We will need to set up a better communication system with our offsite teammates next time. I pulled off road on Sunday and was able to talk with Max by payphone (my cellphone ran out of battery power), though obviously not before his "where the heck is my team" post below! (LOL. [p]Have a great time in the upper reaches of Colorado. Can you BBQ at 12,000 feet? [p]Brett

• BunkyRub
    BunkyRub Posts: 52
    Nature Boy,
    Congrats on what sounds like a tough competition! A little PR on TV never hurts either!

• JSlot
    JSlot Posts: 1,218
    Great report, Chris! Wish the results had been a little better for both of us this weekend, but that's the way it goes! Julie did really well getting a 3rd place in either chicken or pork (see my post down below). I know she and Steve were probably beside themselves!! LOL. Our weekend was about the same as yours. We had a 2nd place chili that didn't pay anything and a 6th place pork that paid nada. Talk to you soon!![p]Frosty Ones!
    Jim

• Nature Boy
    JSlot,
    Ah, i see that post now. Way to go Julie!
    6th place pork aint shabby dude. Congrats!
    Gotta run. Gazillion things to do before heading to rado.
    Mocha Javas!
    Chris

DizzyPigBBQ.com
  • Nature Boy,
    hey, 14th is better than 40th!!. . .sounds like you guys didn't do too bad. . . woodoggies and me were just plain sad, talkin on the phone yesterday, wishin we was with you guys. . .[p]have a great time in colorado. .. . 'rocky mountain high, colorado, la la la'. . .

• Nature Boy
    mad max beyond eggdome,
    We are real happy with our 14th place finish. Of course we wish we'd done betta, but it was a near perfect weekend and well worth the drive. I'm tellin ya, just seeing Brett's face was priceless.[p]You and Woo weren't there in person, but you were there in spirit! New Holland is right around the corner.
    Thanks dewd!
    Chris

DizzyPigBBQ.com
  • Nature Boy
    Thanks Larry!

DizzyPigBBQ.com
  • Nature Boy
    Brett,
    Yeah, I shudda got her card. I wouldn't mind seeing that. I know i was a goofball at the Eggtoberfest when they filmed me for the BGE video. Was a lot more comfortable this time and looked at the interviewer instead of the camera...LOL. [p]Sure, you can BBQ at 12,000 feet, but that will be the LAST thing on our mind....I can promise you. Thanks for the well wishes....and again.....CONGRATS!
    Chris

DizzyPigBBQ.com
  • PapaQ
    PapaQ Posts: 170
    Nature Boy,[p]Congrats to the Dizzy Pig and Free Range teams. [p]Chris, if you haven't hiked in our Colorado mountains before, don't forget your rain gear and warm clothing. Strong storms move in quickly in the afternoon. The good thing is that they move out just as quickly. If you're hiking or camping near a stream when it rains, have an uphill escape plan. Flash floods are common. Lastly, plan a leisurely second day at altitude. We notice that guests almost always feel the affects of altitude (loss of strength and energy) on the second day and recommend sight seeing or shopping before we head for the hills. Have a great trip and enjoy Colorado.[p]Paul
  • Nature Boy
    Thanks Paul.
    Appreciate the tips. Fortunately i have spent a whole bunch of time (maybe 100 nights total at 9-12,000 feet) in the alpine sections of Colorado, Wyoming, Idaho, Montana and California. One time the altitude might mess with you, and another time it won't. Mysterious and scary stuff. As are the storms and especially the lightening.[p]We are well prepared, and skilled at chosing safe spots during lightening storms....so far we have been lucky! Will be prepared for freezing temps, hot sun, wind, rain.....and we will keep ourselves fully hydrated (meaning drinking extra water WHENEVER we are drinking Tequila). Heee.[p]Thanks again for the well-wishes and the tips. BTW, we will be aclimating partially by spending the first two days hanging out in the Aspen/Snowmass (7,000 ft?) chilling out. Then right up to 11,000 and we'll see how it goes.[p]Cheers!
    Chris

DizzyPigBBQ.com
  • WooDoggies
    WooDoggies Posts: 2,390
    Nature Boy,[p]That's right, New Holland is just around the corner......... can't wait to see y'all again in the heart of Amish country![p]John