Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Opinions: BGE Half Moon Raised Grids

Options
dbCooper
dbCooper Posts: 2,079
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I believe I need one of these, along with the half-moon baking stone, I can see good versatility. Interested in hearing opinions about this accessory from anyone that has experience using it.

Below is quoted from the BGE web site. The first example is not clear to me. How can I simultaneously cook direct and indirect with just the raised grid? They specifically mentioned using the half-moon stone in the 3rd example, so it seems it is not used in the 1st example.
"There are several ways that you can configure the raised grid with inserted drip pan. First, use the raised grid only to give you the ability to cook directly on one side of the grill and indirectly on the other side. Second, use the raised grid with a plate setter, which will give full use of the main grid for indirect cooking and a raised grid for vegetables or more meat. Third, use the raised grid with a plate setter and a half moon baking stone, to allow you to bake bread while you are cooking vegetables and meat on the open side of the main grid."

Kind regards,
dbCooper
LBGE, LBGE-PTR, 22" Weber, Coleman 413G
Great Plains, USA

Comments

• Chef Charles
    Chef Charles Posts: 871
    Options
    My wife got me one of those things for my birthday along with a couple of other eggcessories to help my ever increasing collection. However, I have not used it yet so I can't share any practical experience. I can see the use in that the half moon can be set up to allow indirect cooking while leaving the other half for direct. The drip pan that comes with it should be enough to shield what is on top from the direct heat. I am sure there are other approaches that can be used to achieve the same thing.

Tom

Tom

Charles is a mischevious feline who always has something cooking

Twin lbge's .. grew up in the sun parlor of Canada but now egging in the nation's capital

• cookn biker
    cookn biker Posts: 13,407
    Options
    They use the drip pan that slides under the half grid in the first example. I have one and use if on many occasions. I do not have the half pizza stone. It is nice if your main grid is full and you want to throw on a side or veggy. Not sure if I really answered you. :)
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
    LBGE, MBGE, SBGE , MiniBGE and a Mini Mini BGE
  • field hand
    field hand Posts: 420
    Options
    I have one and use it mainly for baked potatoes (or any other slower cooking items). It keeps them above the grid when I have the grid at the fire ring level. I can put the BP's on at around 350 for an hour or so and then crank the temp up for the meat. The half moon keeps them from burning or getting over done. haven't used the slide in drip pan as yet. Have also used it as a warming rack with the grid at the gasket level.

Barry
    Marthasville, MO
  • dbCooper
    dbCooper Posts: 2,079
    Options
    Thanks to all for the reply's, you have been very helpful. I'll be ordering...
    LBGE, LBGE-PTR, 22" Weber, Coleman 413G
    Great Plains, USA