Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

HELP!!! Big Boy Sealed Shut

FatDog
FatDog Posts: 39
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I did a pizza cook last night and had my big egg fired to somewhere around 700 degrees. The pizzas were great (btw, used Peter Reinhart's pizza dough recipe with Caputo 00 flour) but I apparently melted my seals. Short story ... I can't get the big boy to open his mouth. It is sealed seriously shut. I would drop some fire in the top but I have it set up with a raised grid, fire bricks on top of that, pizza stone on top of that. I can't get to the charcoal. I'm going to try to fire from the bottom using my butane (MAPP) torch.

If anyone has any suggestions, PLEASE HELP. I have to cook for a party for 60 next weekend and I don't want to have to depend only on the small egg to handle all that food.

Thanks.

Comments

• Wise One
    Wise One Posts: 2,645
    Take a putty knife and find a gap between the seals. I KNOW you have a gap big enough somewhere. Then start moving it around. The biggest reason for sealing is that some food dropped on the gasket and it is sticking to itself. It should be fairly easy to run the putty knife around until you hit the obstacle and then a little effort should work through it. You probably have two or three spots at least.
  • FatDog
    FatDog Posts: 39
    I'll get at it with a putty knife but this thing is seriously burned! I'm ordering a new gasket 'cause this one is toast. Live and learn.
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    FatDog,

Like bill says. If it is really melted try a extendable razor knife...I think you guys call them box cutters but not sure. Gasket remnants are better than a new gasket IMHO.

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• I don't know what the melting point of the glue is but you should try your idea with the torch first - assuming you have enough lump in there you may be able to light the lump from the bottom. No harm trying.....
  • Bacchus
    Bacchus Posts: 6,019
    You can drop a started cube down the chimney. It shouldnt hurt the stone. It may be enough, or would certainly help in getting it open.
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    Alan,

Good talking to you! I looked back and that kit was #41 on Jan 6, 2004.

Ron
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.