Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

??Placing the Egg into a table

Options
xrayjdm
xrayjdm Posts: 25
edited November -1 in EGG Table Forum
Hello,

I am about to finish my Egg table and was curious to know how some of you have managed to lower your eggs in place? I have a large egg and have found it difficult enough just lifting it :ohmy: Any suggestions?

Comments

• Capt Frank
    Capt Frank Posts: 2,578
    Options
    I built both of my tables along the plans of the Naked Whiz. One has a ceramic tile top and the other a cypress top. I designed both of them so that the egg end piece could be removed and the egg only as to be lifted to the shelf level.
    Assuming you are to late for that you can just remove all the guts from the egg, get a friend to help and put it in place. If it is still to heavy, loosen the top band and remove the dome, now you are well under 100lbs.
    Don' forget to put a paver under the egg and the three little green egg feet on that. Center one below the hinge in the rear and place the other two equidistant around the base :)

Capt Frank
    Homosassa, FL
  • xrayjdm
    Options
    Thanks Capt.
    Yes it's too late. I'm ready to place the egg now. I was hoping there was some mini crane around that I didn't know about :laugh:
  • Capt Frank
    Capt Frank Posts: 2,578
    Options
    No, but a couple of funiture moving straps crossed under the egg will give you something to hold on to :)

Capt Frank
    Homosassa, FL
  • Cpt'n Cook
    Cpt'n Cook Posts: 1,917
    Options
    I used a "Pot Lifter" for my emplacement.
  • xrayjdm
    Options
    OK Cpt'n Cook...what is a PPot Lifter"????
    Is that another word for forklift? :huh:
  • kricks
    kricks Posts: 244
    Options
    Disassemble number 5
  • So Cal EGGhead
    Options
    I do this frequently when building custom tables for customers. We deliver the table to their home and drop the EGG in at their residence. It takes two people to do so. We lift the EGG onto the table with a blanket underneath. Then we both stand on the table and lift, then slowly drop it it. It gets easier with experience, but is always a challenge and sometimes a backbreaker.

If you were close I would love to help you out. Good luck!
  • Unknown
    Options
    MyKamadoTable.com sells lifting kits for eggs to put into tables.
  • Ripnem
    Ripnem Posts: 5,511
    Options
    Simply loosen the lower band bolt and pull the dome and hinge off. The lower band will want to open up on you, so be sure and grab the lower band as well as the dome when you take it off. Then you can reach a hand inside the egg (guts removed) and grab it through the lower vent. Just lower it into place.
  • xrayjdm
    Options
    Thanks for the advice. I'm planning to place it this weekend using your suggestion. Wish me luck :ohmy:
  • xrayjdm
    Options
    Thanks for the site. I'd never seen that one. Don't really want to purchase a kit though.
  • So Cal EGGhead
    Options
    Good luck. just be sure to empty out the EGG prior to moving. The firebox etc just adds more weight to the whole process. You can place it all back in there when it is placed.

I am delivering two today to the Jimmy Kimmel Show and will have to use the same method twice.
  • dtc
    dtc Posts: 24
    Options
    I piled up short 2x4s from the bottom stone up to the bottom of the top supports. Two of us picked the egg up (empty, but still with top on) and put it in the hole on top of the 2x4s. Then we picked the egg up slightly while a 3rd person removed a 2x4. Repeat for each 2x4. For the last 2x4, we positioned the feet and just lowered the egg onto the feet. This made the whole process pretty easy. My wife managed the 2x4s and enjoyed being involved.
  • Cpt'n Cook
    Cpt'n Cook Posts: 1,917
    Options
    Tweezers :laugh:

It's a strap device that grabs onto a large flower pot or egg. It has 2 handles so one or two people can lift the pot easily.