Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Who’s ready for football and tailgating? We are! Check out our tailgating page for recipes that are great to bring to a tailgate, or cook at home if you’re entertaining friends during a game. If you need an easy breakfast recipe, these Sticky Buns are the way to go. If you’re looking for a fan favorite with bacon, try these Double Pork Sliders. We can’t wait to kick off another fall full of tasty food!

Coming to Atlanta for EGGtoberfest? Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340 - NOTE we are CLOSED on Saturday OCT 10th for EGGtoberfest.

WAY OT == special honors for FROZEN CHOSIN

mad max beyond eggdomemad max beyond eggdome Posts: 8,133
edited 6:00PM in EggHead Forum
got invited to see the world premier of the documentary film "CHOSIN" last night at the GI Filmfest in washington DC and attend special reception with my parents. . .my Dad fought at the 'Frozen Chosin" and was a VIP guest last night. Was pretty special to see him honored along with about 10 other vets of the battle in attendance. they got standing ovations and special recognition from the 4 star general in command of all troops in korea. the film was very special. few other generals there, all in their dress blues, along with some of the wounded warriors from walter reed (who also got a very nice standing "O" from the audience of about 500 guests. . .this film was directed and produced by a couple of young ex-marines and is the first full-length documentary/movie ever made about the battle of the chosin reservoir in the korean war...while my dad was in the army and part of small army company of combat engineers that had been sent to the reservoir to build a command post for Xcorp, he got trapped up there along with the rest of the 1st marine division and had to fight along side the marines and walk out of there in the famous retreat to the sea. .. in a totally unkown bit of history, while the rest of the 10,000 or so marines and soldiers who got to walk straight onto the ships at hungnam north korea on 11/12 december 1950 after their escape, dad's company of 80 engineers got the unlucky distinction of being the only ones who got re-assigned back to 3rd ID, and got to remain in frozen North Korea for 2 more weeks assisting in the evacuation and were in fact the last men to walk off the beach along with the navy demolition teams as they blew up the docks on christmas eve morning 1950. ...he had his first hot shower in over 30 days when he finally boarded a ship that evening in hungnam harbor. ... anyway, it was an unbelievably good movie, and worth your time if you ever get to see it, either on cable, or through a download . ... here is a link to the site. . . as i told the director last night, i was certainly honored and humbled to be there and be able to share it with my dad, and that folks honored him in that way. . .its pretty impressive to see a bunch of generals talk of their "elders" the way that general talked of those 11 vets last night. . .

• How awesome is that? Thanks so much for sharing this, and BIG thanks to your dad for his service to our country. I am glad it has been documented.

• MickeyMickey Posts: 16,519
    Congratulations. That has to special to be able to share with your Father.
    Salado TX Egg Family: 2 Large and a very well used Mini, just added a Mini Max (I'm good for now). 

• thanks faith.. . .i was just saying to someone on FB that i'm always thanking vets (young and old) for their service, but it was kind of sureal to see all these people last night, again, young and old, from 4 star generals on down, thanking my own dad, for his service! . ..i was pretty damn proud of the old man, i can tell you that!!
  • HossHoss Posts: 14,587
    May be way OT, but it's WAY COOL to me!Thanks Max! :)
  • AZRPAZRP Posts: 10,116
    I know you are a proud son and you should be. -RP
  • Carolina QCarolina Q Posts: 8,779
    As well you SHOULD be! Great story, Max.

Speaking of thanking vets, when my son was in the Navy, he and a buddy were grabbing a bite to eat at an airport, enroute to some TDY or other, in uniform of course. Some total stranger stopped to chat for a minute, just to thank them for their service - wound up buying their dinner! Sure is different now than it was in the Nam days!!

Everybody knows there’s three acceptable condiments for a hot dog; there’s mustard, onions and stagnant cart water! That’s IT!   ... Jon Stewart

Central Connecticut 

• vidalia1vidalia1 Posts: 7,091
    That is awesome Max.....what a neat glad u were all there to see it.
  • Your dad is a hero, plain and simple. I will go see the movie if it comes here to Tampa.

I ordered on Max. I am anxious to see how the treat such a compelling story.
  • HungryManHungryMan Posts: 3,470
    That was real cool Max. I remember you told us the story two years ago on the MadMax city tour.
  • LImp BrisketLImp Brisket Posts: 115
    Wow, my uncle fought in Korea. Was severly wounded but I still learned a lot from him. Dammit, now I miss him!
  • BeliBeli Posts: 10,751
    Max, you must be very proud and thankful to have your Dad with you today. Extend to him my most sincere appreciation.
  • SSN686SSN686 Posts: 3,002
    Morning Max:

THANK YOU for sharing Max...Tell your father thanks for his service from another vet (USN -- 1971 to 1979)

Have a GREAT day!

Brandon, FL

• BigTBigT Posts: 385
    Thanks for the link, Max. I ordered a copy. There really isn't enough appreciation that can be given to the veterans of all eras and branches- I'm glad your father got the recognition while he can enjoy it.
  • dhuffjrdhuffjr Posts: 3,182
    Awesome thing to attend. Send him thanks from Ohio. Better yet bring him along when that slacker brother comes to see his sister :>)
  • Celtic WolfCeltic Wolf Posts: 9,769
    Max please shake you father's hand for me.. Thank him for his service.. I hope that once day I can shake his hand myself.
  • dennis....LOL. . yeah, i'll get out there one of these days before my sis and b-in-law leave wright-pat. . . .in fact, by bro-in-law just got back there from iraq on friday night!! . ...i'm sure my parents will be out there themselves sometime in the not too distant future for a visit.. .. .
  • thanks for placing that order!! .. . most schools spend about 15 minutes on the korean war these days. .. no one even knows about this battle.. .yet, for the number of marines/soldiers involved, more medals of honor were awarded than even at iwo jima . . .glad to see others share an interest. won't be sorry for adding this one to your library and sharing with others!!!
  • thanks for ordering a copy won't be sorry for adding this to your library and sharing with other!!!. was very moving!
  • jay, i used to work with a couple of guys that were nuke boat sailors. . always admired how you guys could live and work on those boats and have your fingers on enough nuclear weapons, knowing if you ever had to pull those triggers, who knew what you would come home to when you re-surfaced. . .you guys had a lot bigger cajones than i could ever have!!!....
  • ResQueResQue Posts: 1,045
    God bless the men and women that serve. I am glad for you that your Father made it out of there. That is a great story to pass down.