Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Awful Green Egg At Lowes

Options
Spring Chicken
Spring Chicken Posts: 10,255
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
We just went up to Lowes for something and no sooner than we walked through the front entrance we had to revert to our "Egghead" role. Good thing I was wearing my "I'm an Egghead" shirt because we had to start telling people about the Big Green Egg.

The reason... This, the Bayou Classic Cypress Grill:

CypressGrillatLowes5-16-10.jpg

Three of them were expertly placed so that anyone coming into the store would see them.

We had never seen one before so we looked it over and read the material. No mention that we could see about warranty or total cost. Just the $699 on the one they had open. It did not have a nest. Another one had the nest but no price.

Needless to say, we introduced ourselves as Eggheads to a number of interested shoppers and advised them to do some serious comparison shopping if they were interested in ceramic cooking. And by all means, ask about the warranty, the followup service, the available accessories and the members forum.

I really hate to see people blind-sided by not knowing about the Big Green Egg.

Spring "It Never Ends" Chicken
Spring Texas USA

Comments

• Florida Grillin Girl
    Options
    Just another imposter. And its a really ugly color!

Faith
    Happily egging on my original large BGE since 1996... now the owner of 5 eggs. Call me crazy, everyone else does!

3 Large, 1 Small, 1 well-used Mini
  • Woodbutcher
    Woodbutcher Posts: 1,017
    Options
    I saw them too and I wasn't impressed. Someone at work told me that Lowe's was selling a grill like mine. lol! They include a lot of accessories but the quality is lacking.
  • loco_engr
    loco_engr Posts: 5,765
    Options
    Nice shade of "diarrhea" green! That in itself should be a warning! :lol::lol:
    aka marysvilleksegghead
    Lrg 2008
    mini 2009
    XL 2021 (sold 8/24/23)
    Henny Youngman:
    I said to my wife, 'Where do you want to go for our anniversary?' She said, 'I want to go somewhere I've never been before.' I said, 'Try the kitchen.'
    Bob Hope: When I wake up in the morning, I don’t feel anything until noon, and then it’s time for my nap
  • ChargerGuy
    ChargerGuy Posts: 357
    Options
    Wow thats is just the ugliest color I have ever seen!
  • The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    Options
    The one at my Lowe's has a warning lable indicating that the glaze contains lead. Wow! It wouldn't worry me since I don't intend to lick the outside of my cooker or place any food on it, but the general public sees the word "lead" and I think a significant number get turned off.
    The Naked Whiz
  • Cowtown Dawg
    Options
    ... ceramic grill. I saw it in their Grapevine, TX store today. Red, with horizontal ridges as opposed to dimples. Sorry, no pic, and I don't see it listed on their website.
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    Not sure we're supposed to post stuff like this so please let me know and I'll delete the link. Here's a post by someone who bought one and posted pics.
    i?action=

Anyway, apparently it has a 5 year warranty. Hate to be around when the base cracks at 5 years and a day. That's ok though - it comes with a spare gasket!!! :lol:

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• EGGARY
    EGGARY Posts: 1,222
    Options
    I just went to that website and you think the guy got the greatest cooker and if he was smart he would have spent the same amount of money on an EGG.
    Does he have a clue that maybe that "cooker" is made in China. Oh, and he paid $99 for a 3 year warranty. So what happens after three years, can you say SOL.

Why futz ? Get the REAL thing.
  • Buster Dog BBQ
    Buster Dog BBQ Posts: 1,366
    Options
    Who cares? He probably does think he has the greatest smoker/grill out there. It's probably his first smoker or an upgrade from a cheap brinkman or something. The main thing is this guy is enjoying BBQ and isn't that what it's all about? It doesn't matter what you cook on as long as you enjoy it. Heck, I have see guys cook amazing food using a 55 gal drum smoker. Just cause you have a green egg doesn't mean food is always better. Still got to know how to cook.
  • DodgerMi
    DodgerMi Posts: 5
    Options
    Both their catalog and video say that they cook under "intense pressure". What's that about?
  • Frobozz
    Frobozz Posts: 98
    Options
    I've looked at this very cooker at Lowes. It appears to be of high quality; it comes with shelves, a very nice nest, a grill extender and a cover; it sells for hundreds less than a comparable Egg with the same accessories. I also think it's made in the USA (previous versions were made overseas).

It's still not an Egg; it has a poorer warranty and the top vent isn't as versatile. I also don't know how it will hold up but the ceramic was thick and appeared to be of high wuality.

I don't like the finish, either. But this is not some piece of junk.
  • BananaChipz
    BananaChipz Posts: 207
    Options
    I agree with all your points.. I took a look at it the other day, and it seemed to be pretty solid for the price.

It's the same story as always. Something similar to the egg comes out and a few hear just slam it (as if the new product insulted their mothers lol). I guess it makes them feel better :)

I feel bad for the Lowe's folks who have to put up with people standing around talking to customers and killing their sales.
  • Humphrey Chimpden Earwicker
    Options
    i just don't understand why the BGE shape, color etc. isn't trademarked.

what do you think would happen if you came up with a grill that looked suspiciously like a weber kettle?

quality issues aside (whether better or worse), i'm just confused why there are so many grills obviously based on the BGE. sure, the BGE is based on a kamado, but squint your eyes and these things all look like BGEs. is BGE Hq just not that litigious? or maybe there was no trademark registered.

dunno. and none of my business. but there's a fine line between homage and infringement.. hahaha
  • WessB
    WessB Posts: 6,937
    Options
    Guess you've never hear the ford/chevy debate either then...why would you expect anything less from an egg owner...I certainly wouldn't..we own a product we believe in and support at any opportunity...
  • tbonemac
    tbonemac Posts: 69
    Options
    I saw this same grill in a local store the other day "Rural King", and then saw the one in Lowes today. The only difference was the labels. Lowes has the lead label, the Rural King has a made in China label right on top. I dug thru the grill and everyone stopped by asking questions. I directed them all to the local BGE dealer to do the comparision. I did not think the internal components were high quality at all and the top and bottom vents seemed lacking compared to the BGE. The manual at Rural King did say 5 year, big whoop... The Point of Sale material did reference the Kamado Style Cooker nothing comparing to the BGE.

This just shows how much market share that BGE took last year that and how the big box stores wanted a low cost version to compete with the real thing. When I joined in March 09 we had ~8,000 users, and today we are showing over 16,000! I know in my small town I have sold at least 5 folks on the egg over the last year. Hopefully shoppers will do the Ford Chevy compare and make the right decision...
  • BananaChipz
    Options
    Of course i've seen the Ford/Chevy debate.. I think that is just as ridiculous.

I don't "believe" in products. I buy what is good value, and fits my needs. They are just products.
  • WessB
    WessB Posts: 6,937
    Options
    OK...give me your egg then..and build yourself the alton brown flower pot..it's the american way..I was gonna erase all that and start over but decided not to...do you even own a Big Green Egg ?????? and after your answer to that "maybe" we can have an intelligent conversation...
  • Ripnem
    Ripnem Posts: 5,511
    Options
    It's got a 99 dollar 3 year warranty. :laugh: :whistle: Sounds like a POS piece of electronics.
  • BananaChipz
    Options
    Yes I own an Egg. I'm very happy with it as well. Do I "believe" in it.. no.. it's a tool.. no more no less.. I believe it's well built, of good value, and works for my lifestyle and needs. That's as far as it goes. Nothing has come out that matches the Egg's overall value - However If BGE were to fold tomorrow, or some competitor came out with a product that meets my needs in a better way, I would jump ship in a heartbeat. It's about ME, not the product..

Hope this explanation helps. I'm ignoring your last comment about "intelligent" conversations, because it just reeks of douchebaggery